Existing Member?

Lucille's Adventures in Peru Av. Fatima 820, #703, Trujillo, Peru --- www.perumission.org --- "Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings

The Kindness of Strangers

GUATEMALA | Wednesday, 11 March 2009 | Views [274] | Comments [2]

School and work are going well.  You may not realize that I am doing some work from Xela for Peru Mission--thanks to the wonder of the internet!  In addition to the Short Term Teams I will be coordinating, I am assisting Josh Eby with the intern process and will disciple the lady interns.  We have some great people coming to work with Peru Mission!  What a talented and dedicated group of young people.   And God in His wisdom and providence can provide people from all sorts of places and in different ways.  In Xela, I have met a doctor that is from New Zealand that is looking to work in South America and donate his time (for several months) working in clinics and the hospital for the underprivileged.  This Christian doctor just "happened" to meet me when we were on a bus together in Xela.  We got to talking and what he wanted to do is a perfect fit for Peru Mission.  He is praying about it and we are in discussions, but as a result of God´s perfect timing and providence, a doctor from New Zealand may soon be working in Peru!  And all becuase of a friendly conversation among strangers!  Or so it seems to us feeble minded humans.  We know God can do all sorts of things in all sorts of ways.

Those of you who know me well know that strangers love to talk to me and I meet people wherever I go.  The other day on another bus, I met a couple of people traveling in Guatemala.  I struck up a conversation with one of them and he was such an encouragement to me about what I was doing.  We talked for a while about my situation and the mission work he had done in the past.  It was a simple conversation and a kind word from a stranger, but it was as if God himself was talking to me.  What a blessing to have that word of encouragement when I needed to be encouraged that yes, learning a new language is hard, but it is worth it.  And that serving our Lord is never easy, but always rewarding.

Many people are the opposite of me, never talk to strangers, never delve past the friendly hellos, but maybe someone needs it.  You may not ever know it, but God can use you everyday in all sorts of ways.  Here in Xela, I´ve been able to tell so many people about Peru Mission and what we are doing in Peru.  And others may come to work in Peru just through learning about it while I am in Xela.  I rely on the kindness of strangers often when traveling and now living abroad.  What a blessing to have God provide me anything and everything I need.  Even if it is just a word of encouragement from a stranger on a bus.  Next time you are hesitant to say a word of encouragement, or even just a friendly hello that someone may need, think of how God uses even the smallest gestures in grand ways.  As a body of Christ, we are called to support one another and to encourage one another.  I am thankful for your prayers and encouragement.  It is a blessing and inspiration to me.

Language school is still going well.  I´ve moved into the past tense!  For the first few weeks, I was just learning present tense, which is necessary, but makes for interesting conversations!  Now I can attempt past, but still working to perfect it all.  Who knew there were so many spanish words for our one or two English ones??  My routine is pretty set. . .I get up and go to school for 5 hours.  Return home for lunch with my family and conversation in spanish.  Then I do my homework and study.  The school has lots of activities planned in the afternoon and weekends to provide chances to practice our Spanish and I take advantage of that when I can.  And then dinner with the family and more Spanish conversation before preparing for the next day. 

I love Xela and will be sad to go, but am looking forward to continuing my studies while in Peru.  The other day I thought of leaving Xela and going home and I thought of my apartment in Peru!  And then I realized, home is in Peru! I am thankful that the Lord has given me the gift of being at home so quickly in other countries.  My love for travel and experiencing other cultures were a big part of my decision to enter the mission field.  I felt unuasally suited for it.  And so far, I think that is true.  I am so content in where I am and what I am doing.  And thankful that the Lord lead me to where I can best serve Him! 

Comments

1

"I will tell of the kindness of the Lord, the deeds for which he is to be praised" Is 63:7

  adele Mar 16, 2009 2:08 AM

2

Alleen! Alabanzas al Dios! Eres una amiga muy especial y alabo al Dios para tu amistad. Muchos besos y abrazos... Carrie K

  Carrie K Mar 18, 2009 11:31 AM

About alleen

Mi amigo, Jahad!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.