Existing Member?

Lucille's Adventures in Peru Av. Fatima 820, #703, Trujillo, Peru --- www.perumission.org --- "Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings

Which Indian Market?

PERU | Saturday, 3 January 2009 | Views [475] | Comments [6]

Hotel in Lima.  Betsy Hotel in Miraflores

Hotel in Lima. Betsy Hotel in Miraflores

Did you know that Lima has SEVERAL indian artisian markets?  I will get back to that. . .

Everyone arrived in Lima safely last night.  Thanks to our prayer warriors that all connections and flights were made and ALL our luggage made it!  Praise the Lord!  Eduardo from Trujillo´s Arevelo´s church met us and was our most gracious host today!  We got to the Hotel Betsy, which we all loved!, last night around 2 or so?  It was about 3 am when we were all finally headed up to our rooms for sleep!  The poor other guests were surely awakened to our arrival. 

We slept in and had breakfast at the hotel.  Then we got on our trusty bus and left around 10:30 to go to the Indian Market that Allen Smith took us to last year.  Well, he spoiled us!  There are several indian markets.  We wanted to go to the one from last year.  It was HUGE and had lots of options on items to buy. . . so after much discussion among Eduardo, the bus drivers, us and finally a few missionaries in Trujillo, we were off to the one from last year.  We drove around and then had to park a little far away and walk so we ended up having a bit of a tour of Miraflores, the area of Lima where our hotel was and the markets. . . Who knew Lima had sooo many artisian markets??  We finally got to the area where the market was from last year, but still it took us a few times to find and some never did as on the street where we finally found ourselves has about 4 markets on both sides and some are smaller than others.  Needless to say, we´ve seen a lot of markets and did some shopping!

After our shopping excursion, we went to Mango´s in the shopping center by the ocean to have lunch.  We were blessed with a beautiful day and clear skies this year and some fantastic views of the pacific while dining on some tasty Peruvian cuisine.  AFter lunch we had time to wander around this area for a bit before boarding the bus back to the airport.  Now we are in Lima and about to go through security and try to grab a bite to eat on the way if anyone is hungry.  We have to be in a line to pay airport tax, then security and then the gate. . . so we are all headed that way now at 19:15 for our 20:50 flight.  We get to Trujillo around 21:45 (9:45 pm for my non military time people) and then to the Hotel Paridiso (same as last year) for our stay in Trujillo.

We are all so excited to be getting to Trujillo and starting our actual work!  Eduardo was telling us how the children talked about camp last year for months and months and months afterward.  He said they are all looking forward to January just for camp.  And we are so excited to be there and put it on.  This year we expect 150 kids from the 3 churches, orphans, and missionary kids.  We´ve got great lessons planned, fun activities and new crafts this year.  Tomorrow we will worship in the 2 churches and after the first one we may have lunch in the park.  We will then have a day of orientation and organization on Monday and then we are ready to hit the ground running Tuesday with the camp! 

Again, thank you for praying us safely here, please continue to pray that this last flight to Trujillo goes well and that we are all safely there with all our luggage by 22:00 (10 pm).  Everyone needs a good night´s sleep and a day of rest and worship tomorrow to prepare ourselves for the task ahead.

I will try and post some pictures of our day today tonight in Trujillo.  AFter that, i´ll likely update each night after camp.

Buenos Tardes!

Comments

1

What a blessing to hear that you guys made it to Lima and Trujillo safely. Please continue to know that all of you are in my prayers while you are away.

  Marshall McNeese Jan 4, 2009 1:55 PM

2

I'm glad all is well-will be praying for you guys, of course! We'll be checking the blog very regularly for updates. Have a blessed Sabbath!

  Paula La Jan 5, 2009 12:59 AM

3

Thanks for your first update on the Peru Mission Trip. It's nice to hear how everything went. We will continue to pray and think of all of you. Please give Lauren a big hug for her dad and me!

  Shari Collins Jan 5, 2009 7:30 AM

4

Tell SaraCaroline "Happy 13th Birthday" and we are praying for the group and the hearts of the campers.

  David Kimball Jan 5, 2009 7:34 AM

5

We are praying for all ... that the Lord would use each mightily for His glory and to draw those you meet to Him. Tell Susanna we love her and await great stories of how God worked. We will check back often.

  Fred Davenport Jan 5, 2009 10:37 AM

6

It is truly a blessing to know that y'all arrived safely. I am praying for y'all and for the hearts of the children that will be at camp!

  Courtney Locke Jan 5, 2009 12:11 PM

About alleen

Mi amigo, Jahad!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.