Existing Member?

Lucille's Adventures in Peru Av. Fatima 820, #703, Trujillo, Peru --- www.perumission.org --- "Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings

Day 1 in Galapagos

ECUADOR | Sunday, 28 December 2008 | Views [219]

Today we flew to Baltra, the largest airport on the islands, but that is not saying much! it is still pretty small, typical island airport. Everything open air and then vendors right outside. We met our guide, Walter, and headed to the ferry to catch a dingy to our boat. The ferry port is 5 minutes from the airport and there were a group of seals and marine iguana waiting for us. And already the wildlife is starting! What a trip! We went to the boat and met the other 6. A family of 4 from California (mom, dad, and 2 daughters) and a couple from Canada. We had a great group and really enjoyed each others company for our time together! We were briefed on the boat and life there and then we had lunch. After that we arrived at the island of Santa Cruz and Bachas Beach. We went aboard for a wet landing. Meaning we got out in very shallow water from the dingy and walked ashore. We took a hike and then returned to the beach to snorkel. We saw lots of crabs, marine iguana, and even a sea turtle from the beach. The sea turtles are nesting now and we saw their nests and then got to see one in the water. We also got to see some blue footed boobies. They are pretty birds and do some great aerodynamics. They fly around looking for fish and then nose dive into the sea. We also got to see some flamingos on our hike. I am sure I am leaving something out, but it was a great introduction to the islands! The most amazing thing is not so much the wildlife, but how up close and personal you get! It is like walking through the most amazing zoo without any walls and then swimming in the most amazing aquarium! Snorkeling was great fun. We saw so many fish! I would never do it justice. I wish I'd had an underwater camera. It was just crazy how you swam right with schools of surgeon fish, parrot heads, striped salema, so much to see. and the water was very clear. It was the best snorkeling I've ever done. Even better than the great barrier reef. The GBR has incredible coral and reef life, which I was glad to see, but here you are truly part of the ocean with these beautiful creatures that God made and swimming right beside them. it was like no other experience. And we got to snorkel everyday! After our day on the beach we went back to the boat and had snacks waiting for us. We had our meeting about the next day where Walter would write on the white board our itinerary and we'd discuss what was in store. This was every night around 18:30 and then dinner. Pretty shortly after dinner we'd all retire to bed. It was lots of full days hiking, swimming, etc. in full equator sun. so you are tired at the end of each day. Also, this first day, we saw frigates that would fly right by our boat and then land on it. it is a large black bird with a red throat that can blow up huge, but we never saw it blown up. we did see them up close and personal. we also saw a shark swimming in the water by the boat. And after my shower tonight I came out and a sea lion had plopped himself up on our back deck! just cruising along with us! On this first day at our briefing we also met the crew and had a welcome drink. We met our guide Walter already, but this night we met the captain, cook, bartender/waiter/whatever man, engineer, dingy driver, there is a total of 6 including our guide. A fabulous first day in Galapagos!

Tags: galapagos

 

About alleen

Mi amigo, Jahad!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.