Existing Member?

Telling it like it is (with a bit of creative licence)...

Onward and eastward (through the mid-West)

USA | Tuesday, 14 September 2010 | Views [398]

Well, darlings, I'd have to say I am a little bit devastated by the lack of comments. 33 of you slackers have read the last one and not one of you has posted anything. How will my fragile ego survive??

Anyways, moving on...

So I woke up in Salt Lake, keen for adventure. Then I remembered where I was. Boom-ching. No, seriously, I was thinking about staying another day to check it out properly, but then events unfolded which meant I had to leave the state in a bit of a hurry...

I wandered up the Utah Capitol building. Those Utah-ians sure make purdy stuff. The photos are already up.  You'll see in the collection a photo of me, with my hand on the handle of the door to the Governor's office. I won't leave you in suspense - yes, of course I turned it. And I wandered in and met a lovely lady called Abigail, who told me that the Governor was in a meeting. Which he was, until about 25 seconds later... Who was more surprised? Tough call. Although I was in his office, so I'm guessing his shock at a 6ft blonde Australian in cutoffs was greater than my shock at a bunch of silver Utah-ians in business suits. He recovered well though - I bet he's a great politician.

So, where to next? Why, Denver, of course! But to get to Denver, gotta go through Wyoming.  Pretty mountains, wide open ranges, horsies, cows, cowboys - you get the picture (if not, I have helpfully posted these in the photos section).  Note the weird grandstands in the fields - I mean how interesting are cows?! Happily I had made several intuitive leaps before actually uttering those words to a local - my guess was wind breaks... close. Think of it like the mystery object on Collectors. Winning entry gets a prize. So, anyway, a night in Laramie, then...

Hello Denver! What have you got for me? What's that? You have the Grizzly Rose, named best honky-tonk in the world by the Country Music Association?! Speak on, dear friend...

Well, Wednesday is probably not the best night to assess a dance hall's credentials but hell, if its the best honky-tonk in the world surely it should be pumping any night of the week?! True. Wednesday night, 10 piece band and dance-floor full of people from age 21 to 85 getting jiggy wth it country-style - nice! Met a couple of ladies from Texas - Sherry, Wanda and - wait for it - Sissy. Turns out Sissy is a demon on the dancefloor and what do you know, 15 minutes later I'm doing the Texas Two-Step. And yes, it is different to the normal Two-Step. Faster. And no, they can't help themselves with the one-up-man-ship. 

Next stop, Dodge City...  

Tags: grizzly rose, texas two-step

 

About alionadventure

Me about to do something stupid... story to follow.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.