Existing Member?

Telling it like it is (with a bit of creative licence)...

SNAP... the truth behind my trip to hospital

USA | Wednesday, 22 September 2010 | Views [478]

So, this story really starts with the fried pie, but I havent got around to writing that one yet so we'll have to come back to it.

Anyway, even without further detail, you can imagine that I was feeling a bit guilty re the fried pie. I thought maybe I should do some exercise...

So I got the resistance band out and started working. You know this is not going to end well.

Anyway, stretchy stretchy band rolls off end of my foot and smacks me in the eye.

Yes, I'm afraid it's true.

So I squeal and swear and cry for several minutes... then finally eye stops watering enough to look in mirror...

not good.

Massive blood splotch on eyeball and pupil fixed and dilated... minor panic ensues.  I can see though, even if a bit blurry, so I'm thinking it can't be that bad.

Incorrect.

In the morning, it looks worse... decide if i drive past a hospital, I'll go and get them to look at it.

So I rock into emergency - have to drop my accent since they are about to find out I'm Australian. Once I am speaking properly, they can no longer understand me.

It takes many many minutes to explain the problem... and to convince them I have not been attacked, despite swollen face, wearing sunglasses inside and sniffling a lot. Tough sell.

Anyway, once all that is sorted out, they admit me and stick me in a room for couple hours. About 7 people come in to ask me things - STRONGLY suspect was all a scam to hear me talk. They are obsessed with the accent (which is why I hide it).

The actual treatment takes 5 minutes once they have all had a little play with the foreigner - they gave me special eye drops and voila! am cured.

Lesson: no exercise on holiday. Let the fried pie deposit where it may...

 

About alionadventure

Me about to do something stupid... story to follow.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.