Existing Member?

Adventures with Alisha

Boston is Wicked Awesome

USA | Thursday, 20 October 2011 | Views [493]

If there has been one city I've always wanted to go to since I was young, it's been Boston.  After learning about Boston and its rich colonial history, from the American Revolution to the Boston Brahmins and clam chowda, it's a must-see part of America.

I flew into the harbor, so to speak, and it was one of the most exciting things: to be able to see all the little islands and the big blue Atlantic.  It's not to say that I haven't seen it before, but when you're flying into Boston, the plane (probably because of wind patterns), makes an entire circle around the harbor before it lands.  If you're sitting next to the window seat, this gives you a fantastic view.  I could even see people running on the stone walls and Martha's Vineyard!

That said, Boston was filled with history at every turn.  My recommendations: Quincy Market, Boston Common, the Freedom Trail, the Public Garden with the lake and boat rides, Massachusetts Statehouse, Longwood Medical Area, the Paul Revere House, Fenway Park, Little Italy, Harvard Yard, and the JFK Presidential Library (to see a wonderful skyline of the city).

I'm not just recommending these because they were all the places I had been to, but there really are some quaint and unique things to see in each place.  My favorite had to be finding which pastry shop was better: Mike's or Modern's.  Unfortunately, I thought both pastry shops were over-hyped and you probably could get cheaper and better pastries elsewhere.  If you like canolis or rum cake though, Mike's is the way to go.

And you really can't go to Boston without visiting Harvard, or any bays, so that's a iven.  You can get everywhere around Boston with  cheap and efficient public transportation with the $1.70 ride for the metro.  Another wonderful place to visit is the Sam Adams Brewery, if you want to see the original brew house and where the Boston Lager was born.

There are many things to do in Boston, so sit back, ride the metro, and expect to hear the accent a lot.

Tags: boston, colonial history, history, metro, parks, walking

About alineswala


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.