Existing Member?

Adventures with Alisha

The Aftershock of Coming Home

USA | Tuesday, 18 October 2011 | Views [537]

Many people choose to go on amazing trips that enrich their perspectives, take a break from the mundane, and evaluate their lives from a distance.  Most times, these cross-cultural experiences lead to opening your mind in an entirely new way, and it seems to be something that you can only gain by immersing yourself in another culture.  This is wonderful and perfect.  Sometimes going abroad and removing yourself from your daily worries and comforts is the only way to find yourself again, and discover parts of yourself that you did not know existed because you never had to use them.

However, in doing this, your real life problems become irrelevant.  Not only because you are so overwhelmed with a new culture and just learning how to survive, but in reality, you are so far away from them (literally).  How do you deal with coming back to reality?  I know that when I had to come back to America and start school again, I didn't feel ready.  Of course, nobody is ready.  I couldn't even think in English for the first few days.  But in being away for so long, I didn't know how to get in the rhythm of being focused, and using my new-found confidence and energy to my benefit.  Especially since I would be surrounding myself with most of the same things as I had before going abroad.

Then again, going abroad is meant to be a challenge, and introducing yourself back into your old life must also be a challenge too.  It's difficult to merge the old with the new, and find the perfect balance in the mix, but I think it's possible.  After all, what choice do we have accept to believe that in changing we will always try to keep adding our new perspectives with our old ones to have the best possible perspective for you?

Tags: coming home, cultural shock, reality

About alineswala


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.