Existing Member?

Adventures with Alisha

C'est la Vie Paris!

FRANCE | Thursday, 9 June 2011 | Views [1178]

As I am reflecting on my travel experiences, I thought it would be good to write about some things that I got out of my previous travel experiences in hopes to figure out what I want out of this one.  When I went to Paris, I had no idea what to expect.  Ultimately, it was a very touristy experience that involved seeing all the sights and sleeping on the Eiffel Tower lawn in the middle of the day.  While I enjoyed seeing and being in the place of oh so many revolutions, and being in the country of the French, I didn't really gain a deep cultural understanding from the visit.  

One thing I do remember is being in awe of the metro, and thinking that one of the reasons Europe is so well-liked and considered "advanced" is because of their public transportation system.  That is definitely something that we need to work on in the United States.  A better public transportation system makes for happier and more cost-effective people.  And plus, who doesn't enjoy high-speed rail?  

One thing that I particularly enjoy about the metro system is how efficient it is *you can get anywhere in the city within five minutes!) and how you can just reload money on the same ticket/card over and over again.  I remember when I took public buses in Italy, it was inconvenient to always buy the right ticket at the right time at the right bus stop.  A terminal filled with re-loadable tickets at each entrance is a wonderful way to travel.

One thing I will definitely be on the lookout for and take advantage of in China is the public transportation system.  I have researched it a bit and have found out that taxis are almost as cost-efficient as taking buses, which are also the quickest way around Xi'an.  I suppose this is to be expected from the most populated country in the world.  I can't wait to see what it's like!  

Tags: china, france, metro, paris, public transportation system

About alineswala


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.