Existing Member?

Adventures with Alisha

The Foreign Attitude about Food

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 9 June 2011 | Views [684]

Something that I've noticed while traveling abroad is that each country has a different attitude towards eating.  In India, it's known as the eat as much as you can when you are told to eat philosophy.  Or else, there will be no food.  In France, it was eat as little as can you especially when you're not told to.  Especially if you're a female.  In Italy it's the whole eat eat eat as much as you want whenever you want because food is a delicacy to be enjoyed with friends and family that really made my day, every day.  And in the United States, the philosophy is simply eat when you have the time.  I am curious as to what my Chinese eating philosophy will be.

From class, I have learned that a traditional Chinese meal can be very intricate and very long and the elders must always be respected and be offered the food first.  However, I am just hoping to be able to eat traditional Chinese food with people that I will enjoy eating it with.  Not too much to ask, right?  Hopefully I'll be able to dabble in some Beijing kaoya (roast duck).

Tags: china, eating, food, france, italy, usa

About alineswala


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.