Existing Member?

From Masala to Bollywood and everything in between! Catch up with me and my time around South Asia

The Heart of Bangalore

INDIA | Thursday, 6 December 2007 | Views [1175]

A visit to the heart of Bangalore last Saturday found me somewhere I never would have expected. Not far from where most people would consider Bangalore’s central spots—M.G. and Brigade roads, filled with modern and typically western stores and restaurants like Levi’s Jeans (very popular here), KFC and Ruby Tuesday. I discovered where the heart of Bangalore is kept—in the slums where the lowest caste and class live.

            Jacqueline has linked up with a non-profit group called Dwaraka, and through her school gotten some volunteer teaching time with the groups educational and children’s branch called Drishya. Jacqueline invited me to come and see what it was all about with her on Saturday. So we were given a briefing of some of the basics of the slum we were going to visit and then headed off to the slum which is surrounded by the posh homes and area that many of the slum dwellers find work in these homes as domestic help and sweep the streets—thus making it lovely and comfortable way of life for the upper class residents. I’m learning that this is how India works, mostly because of the caste system, people of the lowest castes are made to do the dirty work and have been taught this and passed it down generation to generation. Among this lowest caste there are other major problems of alcoholism, spouse abuse as a result, and poor education and health, and all of this substandard levels of basic education and health is crazy to me in a city that is leading in India for progress and technology. This says something of the culture though—why should these people have the opportunity to work is any position where they can earn enough money to really have a comfortable and decent life; if they progress too far then who will sweep our streets and cook our meals in our upper caste homes?

            The whole time we were there Jacqueline and I had three kids each holding our hands, and calling us “aka” which is a term of endearment for an older sister, they were so sweet, I wanted to take them all with me. We visited the public school where the children attend their regular classes, and then Drishya has donated special funds for arts activities in music, dance and singing to keep the kids out of trouble and from depression and downtrodden-ness. The girls performed for us 2 of their songs and dances, both were wonderful and there was so much joy in this little four room school. Drishya has also helped the school raise funds to build a second building which is in the process of being built, but is already in use because the school is in such need of space. So the children have class in a room of cinderblocks and dust with only grass mats on the floor to sit on and one teacher for about 40 students from the 1st to 6th standard (1st to 6th grades). While we were sitting there the youngest boys began to cause some trouble fighting over a pencil or something and it was clear that this wouldn’t be an easy environment for anyone to learn in or retain the lessons they were working on.

            Next we had a tour of the old slum and then the newer and more modern slums that the government has given some money towards and with the help of some of the people’s personal savings they’ve chipped in they can help to change the life of these people and give them something to be proud of. The old slum was a wild place—we walked through twisted and winding alleyways, which were lined with little hut after leaky hut. These don’t have any running water and all 160 or so families who live in the old slum have to go to one of two water spouts far from their homes on the outskirts of the slum to pump the water for their laundry, baths, cooking, etc. they also don’t have proper sanitation here, and many just go behind the homes and wash it down the street. We given the royal tour of the new slums…less slum-like more government assisted and subsidized housing project. These houses have running water and sanitation—one bathroom at the back, kitchen, living/bedroom and then upstairs another small bedroom and terrace. In the old slum there had been a major issue of rape, theft, and was known for its problems and trouble, also many of the wives were beaten by their husbands who are apt to alcoholism---when these men have a place like a slum to call home you can blame them for wanting to drink. Here in the newer slums the husbands have an easier time securing decent jobs.  This is simply because the wives don’t have to spend as much time fetching water from pumps all the time—leaving less time for the husband to look after the kids, health is better because of sanitation, and the morale is better and less depression among the residents, all making life easier.

            Later we had a meeting with  a bunch of the women—wives and mothers of the new slum. They spoke with us, through our translator, about their lives now that they live in the new place. They told us how proud they were of their new homes, and how life was much easier and happier for them. Many of the women told us how much better they now feel raising their children in a place that is more safe and sanitary, and that they’re thankful for the Dwaraka organization and all it is doing for them. They also told us of how they have to be strong and band together as women of this community. Still abuse and rape goes on, and the women have taken a vow to each other that if they hear any screams or cries during the night they will go to that house and beat the husband who is mistreating his wife or children. I was proud of these women and you could tell they were very empowered. We had a prime example of the strength of these women while we were meeting with them. A man who was clearly blackout drunk came to this little corner of the slum where we were meeting and sat down next to our translator who works for Dwaraka, on the premise that he had something to talk with her about. She told him she wouldn’t speak with him until he was sober, but he was refusing to leave after being asked many times. So forcefully two of the women leaders got up and carried him away, and there he went…easily overtaken by the women.

            It was a moving day, and I was constantly reminded of all of my blessings. In the states we’re always worried about having a big enough or nice enough house, but here these people are just happy to have a place to stay with running water and proper sanitation! My appetite has only been wet for working with women and children and although I’m not sure when I’ll be back in India I made sure to take all the contact info. For the head of the organization…maybe I can come back and work with them in the future. 

Tags: People

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.