Existing Member?

Al and Veronika Trip 2011

India - North

INDIA | Monday, 7 November 2011 | Views [411]

 Beautiful, dirty, serene, poverty stricken, bright, colourful, noisy, polluted, heart-breaking, spiritual, diverse, endlessly fascinating….India is all of these and more. There is just nowhere we have been on our travels to compare it to. All your senses always seem to be on a heightened state of alert at the sights, sounds and smells constantly around you. With sacred cows roaming wild all over the place through the busy city streets and alleyways, and a distinct absence of animal portaloos, there is one major consequence….one which means you always have to watch where you step. The penalty for even a slight lapse in concentration can be extremely nasty. This, combined with the level of poverty all to visible to the naked eye, means it can take a few days to settle and really start to enjoy what the country has to offer….from the incredible old forts, palaces and temples with such a rich history, the amazing cuisine, the colourful festivals…. to the spirituality of the people….and, of course, cricket to name just a few.

As ever in a new country, we were on high alert for the rip-off merchants and dodgy taxi drivers that usually congregate outside stations and airports, so we headed for the relative safety of the pre-paid traffic police operated taxi stand. Our assumption was misplaced as the smiling man in uniform tried unbelievably blatantly to short change me in our taxi transaction. Veronika, in particular, was still reeling from this bare-faced deceit when suddenly a huge wasp-like creature appeared in the back of the tiny taxi we were in which had us both frantically ducking and diving in the back seat of the cab trying to escape this enormous buzzing beastie. It was only when the flying insect reached the front of the cab that our driver friend took action and screeched to a halt on the motorway, jumped out of the car and chased the unwelcome intruder  away…much to everyone’s relief.

We began our journey in Delhi, New Delhi to be more accurate. In truth, I would have to say we eased our way in to India. New Delhi is certainly the more gentrified and modern side of the city, in stark contrast to the narrow and congested streets of Old Delhi. With the attractions spread around the city we decided to take a car and do a city tour. Major highlights included the huge Red Fort built around the old city, the fabulous Humayun’s Tomb and the outstanding Qutb Minar complex of ancient ruins and religious constructions on the outskirts of the city. Back in the city, we decided to go for a walk and sat down in a nearby park for some “chill out” time. This proved rather futile though as within 10 minutes I had been approached by 4 different people offering to clean my ears. To this day, I still do not know if this is a regular practice in these parts….or if my ears offered a somewhat bigger business opportunity than normal!

Unbeknown to us, somewhat ignorantly I confess, we had arrived in India during the Diwali Festival. Also known as the Festival of lights, it is India’s most widely celebrated Hindu event which resulted in 2 major repercussions for us. Firstly, non-stop fireworks all night long and secondly, trying to get your hands on a train ticket was like trying to get World Cup Final tickets on the day of the match. Apparently you can purchase train tickets 90 days in advance….and guess what….everyone here does! Therefore, we ended up in the back of a little Suzuki car for the 4 hour drive to Agra….home of the Taj Mahal. Having just read in the local paper about a recent road rage incident it came as no surprise to witness an old-fashioned fisticuffs fight between 2 drivers before we had even left Delhi!

The town of Agra itself could not really be described as picture postcard material….at all. It does, however, have the Taj Mahal. I am the first to admit I was a little bit sceptical as to how good it could really be…so different from all the pictures you’ve seen before ? Well, I am also the first to admit I was wrong…as from the first moment you walk through the arched gateway and you catch a glimpse of the famous old building there is little doubt that you are looking at something very special indeed. The colour, the symmetrical design, the sheer size of the building…I really could not say what it is…it’s just very beautiful and impressive (and heavily photographed as you will no doubt see!).

Only a 2km walk from the Taj is the mighty Agra Fort built in the 1560’s on the banks of the Yamuna River. I can certainly testify as to how well protected this imposing old Fort is, seeing as we took the wrong turning from the main road and were forced to circumnavigate the whole Fort on foot….an arduous task that took much longer than we would have wished for!  Also, within an hour of Agra by car, is the wonderful fortified ancient city of Fatehpur Sikri. Here, the main attractions are a fantastic huge Mosque and a beautiful complex of old palatial buildings, all of which can be explored on foot.

I cannot, and will not, pretend to be any kind of authority on religion or spirituality. However, It is just impossible to even begin to describe the scenes that we witnessed in Varanasi, our next stop, without mentioning how holy this city is, and in particular the holy water of the Ganges River, to the Hindu population who live here and also those who make the pilgrimage here from near and far. All the action here is down by the many ghats, the steps that wind down to the bank of the Ganges. We, like many tourists, took a boat trip along the river at sunrise when the pilgrims come down to bathe, pray, wash their clothes, brush their teeth, wash their buffaloes and just about anything else you can think of in the holy water. Without being flippant, when you see up close just how filthy this river is in which they bathe, pray and swim then you know there is a profound belief in something which non-believers could never possibly fathom. Dotted amongst the many bathing ghats are a couple of burning ghats where it is very common to see dead bodies, covered in cloth, being carried down on makeshift stretchers to be first doused one final time in the holy Ganges before being cremated openly in front of the watching crowds. Indeed, for Hindus, this is the place to die as it frees them from the cycle of birth and death. It is, truly, a remarkable scene all along the riverfront and not one we are likely to forget in a hurry. The problem I described earlier about having to watch where you step is only magnified in the extremely narrow winding lanes behind the riverfront and any venture out of the guesthouse at night had to be taken with the utmost caution and a lot of luck!

After the madness of Varanasi we were looking for something a bit more chilled out and relaxing, and thankfully we found that in the charming little town of Khajuraho. Charming has to be qualified somewhat, as the touts here are as every bit annoying (and then some) as those found in Agra near the Taj Mahal and in Varanasi. Built between AD 950 and 1050, the incredible temples here are some of the finest old carvings you could find anywhere in the world but, of course, what really put this town on the tourist map is the erotic nature of these fine pieces of workmanship. Just casually strolling by these astonishing temples is like flicking through the pages of the Kama Sutra (I could only imagine, of course). Clearly back in the day there were a lot of voluptuous women around these parts and no shortage of animal action either. Children – please look away…nothing to see here. The main complex of temples are all within easy walking distance but to reach some of the others we hired bikes and went for a leisurely cycle around the town. It was during this cycle through the town we couldn’t help but notice many of the local people using the communal water pump which is to be found, rather perversely, almost right outside the gates of the $400 a night Lalit Temple View hotel. Moreover, the completely dilapidated shacks where the people live, located directly across the road from the 5 star hotel, only highlights the disparity between rich and poor all to evident wherever you go and is almost certainly one of the main reasons that India, without fail, provokes such a reaction one way or another for anyone who is lucky enough to visit.

My next reaction, if everything goes according to plan, will be from Rajasthan….

About ag


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.