Existing Member?

Al and Veronika Trip 2011

India - Rajasthan

INDIA | Wednesday, 23 November 2011 | Views [355]

Rajasthan, the desert state, is truly a land of royalty, maharajas, majestic forts, amazing palaces and, unfortunately, a few too many silk emporiums just a little over anxious to get their hands on your tourist rupee. In keeping with these rich and lavish traditions, the luxurious train “Palace on Wheels” is the perfect means by which to be transported in style around this most regal of Indian states. Whether sitting in the plush dining car feasting on a five star meal or relaxing after a day’s sightseeing with a glass of gin and tonic, it really is the only way to travel. It is, however, also the most expensive and did not play any part in our itinerary. Therefore, our “Palace on Wheels” was a somewhat rather more modest five year old 4-door Tata Indigo driven by our soon to be new best friend Raj.    

Once it became clear that there was little chance we could see the places we wanted to visit by regular train due to the overbooking then we decided the best way would be by car and with a driver. This had a few implications for us but probably one of the biggest was the issue of commission. The name of the game is clearly to drag you in to as many silk emporiums as possible in between any sightseeing as, of course, anything you spend will mean a tidy little commission for the driver who took you there. Raj, our driver, was a great talker but not such a good listener as all my pleas to avoid these situations fell, initially at least, on deaf ears. Naturally, we had wanted to give Raj the benefit of the doubt and when, on our very first evening with him, he had invited us to a “party” at a friend’s house we were more than a little excited to find out what this would mean in a city like Jaipur, the first stop on our tour. As our car slowed down to a standstill, our excitement turned to despair when we saw we had stopped right outside another silk factory. Day one and this was our third demonstration of block printing before being led upstairs to the warehouse stocked to the ceiling with an array of bed covers, pillow cases, saris, scarves and much more. Having politely declined the pushy offers to buy anything we were then dragged up another four flights of unlit stairs to a dilapidated rooftop for the “party”. Here, we found four men glaring at us over the rim of their glasses, filled with cheap Indian whisky, while a fifth seemed to lie unconscious in a sleeping bag nearby. Needless to say, this was one party we did not mind checking out of early and we soon beat a hasty retreat back to our hotel ….empty handed without any silk purchases!

This incredibly awkward situation on the first night did not prevent Raj attempting a similar trick the following day and it was at this point I decided, with the softly softly approach not working, to go for the more direct approach and mercifully this seemed to do the trick. For the following few days we barely saw the outside of a silk emporium let alone the inside.

With relations with the always jovial Raj now back on track we were really able to enjoy what we had come to Rajasthan for. Our journey took us first to Jaipur, the capital of the state and also known as the Pink City due to the pink sandstone of the buildings. The city boasts a fine palace and the unusual, but beautiful, Hawa Mahal building, but the real highlight for me was the magnificent Amber fort which is located about 10km from Jaipur in the surrounding hills. We also really liked ambling through the hectic bazaars and the spice market in the old city of Jaipur…though the usual “hazards” still had to be avoided while walking!

From Jaipur we moved on to Bikaner, a drive Veronika did not enjoy too much as the previously four lane road narrowed to two and the driving became more erratic. Unfortunately for Veronika, her day was about to get much worse as we stopped at the Karni Mata Temple in Deshnok, 30km south of Bikaner. Karni Mata Temple is also known as Rat Temple and for an extremely good reason. The second you step foot in the courtyard of the temple you are confronted with thousands of the little furry creatures everywhere. Of course, there is a legend (which I will not go in to) behind the reason that many Hindus make the pilgrimage here to feed and worship these Holy Rodents. Suffice to say, if you are really lucky (and they truly believe this here in this temple) the rats will scamper over your feet and, naturally, what do you have to do in a temple to show respect….remove your shoes. By this point, Veronika was practically trembling with fear and it looked like she was almost dancing as she did not want to keep her feet on the ground for even a second. Needless to say I was given the camera to take a few shots before Veronika could take no more and ran out. The town of Bikaner itself, of course, has a fort but here it is the inside rather than the outside that steals the show. The ostentatious interiors really give you a glimpse in to the former lives of the Maharajas here.

Rat nightmares still fresh in the memory, we continued west on to Jaisalmer where the old Fort, the second oldest in India built in 1156, sits proudly (for now at least as it is sinking apparently) on top of Trikuta hill. The fort, from a distance, is a spectacular sight. It is also great to wander inside the fort where there are several (rat free) temples worth a visit. This is also the only great fort in India still inhabited, with about five thousand people living within the 99 bastions of the stronghold which makes it a real living museum as the guide books like to say.

As we moved from Jaipur to Bikaner and then on to Jaisalmer the camel count had risen quite noticeably as we moved deeper in to the desert to less than 100km from the Pakistan border. It was, therefore, only appropriate that we embarked upon a camel safari of sorts. For this, we went to the small village of Khuri, 40km even further in to the desert from Jaisalmer. Lawrence of Arabia I am certainly not...and never having even been on a horse I admit to being a little nervous about getting on a camel. When the moment finally came, my fears only grew as my camel started howling in protest at the thought of me sitting on his hump. Meanwhile, Veronika’s camel was as cool as a cucumber and completely chilled out. Only after I jumped on did my camel “driver” reveal that my camel was very young and new to the tourism business…which did even less to calm my nerves. With me hanging on as tightly as I could, we trotted away on our hump backed friends in to the sand dunes for sunset. Once I had reassured myself that even if I did fall off I was in for a soft landing on the sand, I really started to enjoy the occasion and with the sun setting over the magnificent rolling sand dunes I have to say it was an experience I will never forget. After sitting on a camel for 4 hours my legs certainly did not forget it for the few days either!

Safely back on four wheels, rather than four spindly legs, we continued on to Jodhpur, or the blue city as it is often referred to on account of all the blue houses. Here, the city is completely dominated by the mighty Mehrangarth (Fort) which looks out over the entire city from over 140m high. After hiking up to the fort and taking a fantastic tour through the entire complex it came as no surprise to learn that it had never, in its 500 year history, been breached even once. Veronika’s defences were, however, breached later that afternoon. As I have previously suggested, watching where you step is an integral part of being a tourist here. One of the drawbacks, though, of always keeping an eye on the road directly in front of you is that you leave yourself open to an attack from above and that is exactly what happened to Veronika as we strolled through the local bazaar and a ruthless pigeon took aim and found its target.  Despite my feeble attempts to suggest this was actually lucky, Veronika was not amused.

The quaint village of Pushkar was by far the smallest of the destinations on our tour. As we meandered through the narrow streets it took a while before it dawned on me just why it was so relaxing….no cars and, especially, no Tuk-Tuks whizzing past inches from your toes. What Pushkar may have lacked in terms of forts and palaces, it more than made up for with its relaxing vibe and hippy culture. Here, it seemed like every other tourist,  some young and some that should know better, fancied themselves as a bit of a Guru (of what I have no idea). Up to this point on our travels I had resisted the temptation to dress like one of the locals, a trap most of the tourists here seem to have fallen into… with varying degrees of failure. (Ok – so maybe Veronika suggested I did not need to enhance my already bandy legs with a pair of brightly coloured overly baggy trousers!).

As the flat barren desert landscape slowly gave way to a greener and hillier setting, we finally arrived in Udaipur, the final leg of our Rajasthan tour. Very different to what we had seen before, Udaipur is beautifully set on Lake Pichola with the Aravalli hills as a picturesque backdrop. Rising out of the middle of the lake are two fantastic looking Royal Palaces, one of which can be seen in the Bond flick Octopussy and the other….was the scene of a Shakira concert a few days ago. True to form, the city also has an eye-catching City Palace with a great museum. The highlight for me, though, was sitting in one of the many rooftop bars and restaurants with a cold beer with the sun setting over the hills and seeing the palaces reflected in the glistening lake. Udaipur does not carry the tag of India’s most romantic city for nothing…and it felt like a great place for us to end what had been a fantastic tour of Rajasthan.

About ag


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.