Existing Member?

Al and Veronika Trip 2011

Nepal

NEPAL | Saturday, 29 October 2011 | Views [403]

Some people are born for the mountains. Others are not. If Veronika falls into the former category, I definitely fall into the latter. However, team player that I am, I was all for it (kind of…) when we decided to make Nepal our next destination, and specifically a trek into the Himalayas to see the one and only Mount Everest, as I knew this had always been one of Veronika’s  lifelong dreams. Of course, trekking in the Himalayas can be serious business and physically demanding.  Therefore, some preparation and training is very much recommended….or you could just live it up in Kuala Lumpur for the weekend before like we did.

Thankfully we had a few days to explore Kathmandu and to ease our way into the Nepalese way of life before the trek began. Most of the hotels, hostels and backpacker action are found in the Thamel area of the city which is where we were based. It was only in the 1960’s that tourism really kicked off here and it seems like most of the hotel rooms haven’t seen a lick of paint since! Here in Thamel, the streets are lined with trekking agencies, shops selling fake Northface hats, gloves, jackets etc, bars, restaurants and, of course, little supermarkets full of enthusiastic trekkers buying their energy bars, chocolate and toilet paper!

The fantastic Durbar Square is the central point of city sightseeing and we had a great walk from Thamel to reach there, through lots of narrow winding streets which are just so full of life although there is no hiding from the fact that Nepal is such a poor country.  Almost every corner you turn there seems to be another shrine, temple or stupa with people praying and worshipping. Durbar Square itself is beautiful and a great place to walk around and just admire the architecture and detail of the temples that surround you.

However, as enjoyable as the crazy city of Kathmandu was, that was not the main reason for our visit and soon it was time to begin our trekking adventure. I could put it off no longer! Before I go further, I should stress the only reason for my hesitation in the trek was down to my absolute and total fear of heights….and not that I am lazy and did not fancy walking 6 hours a day up a mountain.

The domestic terminal at Kathmandu airport can only be described as organised chaos…at best. With no seat allocated there is no guarantee you will get on your designated flight. Thankfully, our guide managed to push all of us through the hordes and onto a plane without too much delay. For a trip such as this a guide can have quite an impact on the overall experience and, fortunately for us, we took an instant liking to our guide Ganesh.  Always calm, always composed….just what I was looking for.  What really sealed the deal, however, was when he casually threw into one of our early exchanges that he didn’t really like “unnecessary conversations”.  I couldn’t have said it better myself! The short 30 minute flight to Lukla airport was in a small 20 seat plane and within 10 minutes of taking off we already had amazing views of the Himalayas away in the distance. However, the mountains quickly started to appear closer and closer and before I knew it we found ourselves flying in between them….very close at times which was quite troubling for me I must admit. The only thing matching my trepidation, and in truth surpassing it, was Veronika’s excitement.  I was not the only one feeling worried though, as the Spanish guy who had been talking incessantly since take-off suddenly fell silent while his girlfriend sat silently in prayer! Then, out of nowhere, a runway (or rather a tiny little airstrip) appeared in the distance which thankfully the pilot managed to find.

Lukla, at 2,860m (9,380 ft), was my first ever brush with high altitude and from where we would start trekking. From the very start the scenery all around was beautiful and the path took us (mainly downhill at the beginning) through some quaint little villages before meandering along the side of the Dudh Kosi Valley. The Dudh Kosi River would, in fact, become a river I will never forget as it had to be crossed many times…each time by way of a rickety old swaying suspension bridge…the type that induces nightmares and sleepless nights for someone like me. The first one we encountered on our way to Phakding, where we would spend our first night, came upon us so suddenly that I didn’t have much time to contemplate it. With our guide urging me to hurry up and move due to the danger of falling rocks from above I had little option but to slowly put one foot in front of the other and hope the rest of me would follow…while everything else in my head was telling me to turn around and go the other way! Once over the bridge I felt a huge relief and satisfaction that the one suspension bridge we had read about in the itinerary had been overcome. Little did I know at this point, that this was merely a suspension bridge for beginners…and that there would be MUCH higher ones to come.

Having stayed overnight in one of the very basic “Tea Houses” they have along the trail, we were ready again for a bigger climb the next day. The ever changing terrain took us through some dense pine forest, lush green meadows and tiny Sherpa villages with always the backdrop of the amazing mountains and snowy peaks high above us. Namche Bazaar (3,440m or 11,286 ft) was the next stop and it was a fairly tough climb up through the sparse forest.  Of course, before we started the real ascent to Namche (as we Everest mountaineers like to call it) we had to cross the highest suspension bridge of the trail…about 100m above the icy cold river below. I have no shame in admitting I needed to be coaxed across this one by Ganesh ....clinging on to his arm as tightly as my sweaty palms would allow.

It was here in Namche Bazaar we had an acclimatisation day which gave us ample time to look around what is unquestionably the commercial hub of the Sherpa community here. Much of what is found here in the shops, restaurants and guesthouses is brought up the mountain literally on the backs of the Sherpas or yaks. In fact, during our trek I was continually amazed by what I saw being carried up and down the mountain by the Sherpas, both young and old. Their strength, endurance and stamina are just incredible.

Our reward for a good couple of hours of steady climbing the next day was our first glimpse of Mount Everest. It was a beautiful morning with crystal clear blue skies and just shortly after we had climbed above the Shyangboche airstrip (more of a dirt road which falls steeply off a mountain)…then there it was…all 8,848m (29,029 ft) of it….standing tall next to Lhotse, at 8,516m (27,940 ft) the fourth tallest peak in the world. It was easy to see how much this meant to Veronika at this point and even I, for a few brief moments, was able to put the thoughts of suspension bridges and mountain ledges to one side and enjoy the scene.

The incredible mountain scenery continued as we climbed further to the remote village of Tengboche (3870m, 12687 ft). At this altitude any physical exertion is, of course, slightly more difficult but this did not seem to impede the group of monks from the famous gompa (monastery) nearby indulging in a game of football. The sight of the monks playing football with the backdrop of Ama Dablam, Mount Everest and other peaks is one I will keep for a long time I am sure.

By this point we had reached our target (Veronika had kindly not been too ambitious with my first venture in to the Himalayas) and all that was left for us was to descend back down the mountain  for 3 days safely and then try to catch one of the flights back from Lukla to Kathmandu….hopefully on a clear weather day. When we finally did board the small plane for the journey back through the mountains I happened to get the seat in the front row which meant I was facing directly into the cockpit, just behind the pilot. With all the other passengers ooh’ing and aaah’ing out the window at how close we were to the mountains it was probably only I who could not help but notice the *** TERRAIN ADVISORY *** …..***TERRAIN AHEAD*** flashing on the dashboard right in front of me. Already feeling slightly nervous, I had to stop myself from tapping the co-pilot on the arm to tell him to stop reading his newspaper and instead look out to see where we heading! Thankfully, I saved myself from that embarrassment as I reassured myself they knew what they were doing….probably more than I did at that time.

Soon we were back in Kathmandu, and with the detox programme now complete, I was now able to enjoy a few Everest beers and reflect on what had been an amazing time up in the mountains, surrounded by some of the most breathtakingly beautiful scenery you could find anywhere and very grateful that I had been able to face, if not overcome, some of my greatest fears and, perhaps more importantly, be able to share of one of Veronika’s lifelong dreams.

About ag


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.