Existing Member?

Up close and personal in Beijing Knowing what you want to say in Chinese can be easy.....but understanding what these people are saying back to me may be one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. Let the adventure begin!

Olympic Village

CHINA | Saturday, 14 July 2007 | Views [962]

Saturday morning took me on one of the most interesting adventures I could have found in Beijing. The intentions of the trip were to go check out how neat the new Olympic Village was and to see the finished Aquatics center, and the almost finished Olympic Stadium. However this was all information I found online, so I just believed it. I have however since then figured out, you can't believe what you read about the Chinese, you have to actually go check it out yourself. 

The adventure began with a 30 minute bus ride into the downtown area where I could then get on the subway to get me to a location a little closer to my destination. I figured either way I was going to have about a 2 mile walk, which I was totally up for. The actual subway they will be using for the Olympics will take the spectators right to the stadium gate. HOwever, that line is not finished yet, so thinking I had made the best alternative choice I went as far north as I could and decided I would just walk straight west to the venues. The sight I saw after getting off the subway was a bit shocking I have to admit. There was no road, no sidewalk...not even very many signs of human life. This was due to the construction within the area.  Pretty much they bulldozed the entire area, and it was just sitting there. I was later told that all of the construction in the city has to be completed by december of 2007. From the evidence I have gathered, there is no way!

Anyways, back to the adventure. As I walked through what I would classify as what had been a war zone, I was surprised to find a beautiful garden in the middle of it all. It turned out to by the bar street of the Yuyuan dynasty.  There was a river running down the middle, with several patio areas and signs along the banks. At night I would imagine it is a pretty lively place. The atmosphere now though was families out for walks, couples laying on the benches, and several children flying kites.  I walked the garden area all the way to the Olympic area.

Now you know all that construction I was talking about before....yeah well it was minor compared to what the Olympic park and village look like. Take a look at my pictures, but from what I found, the village hasn't even been started. The Stadium is getting there, and the outside of the swimming pool is completed. I have to say though, the area has a ton of work to still be done in the next 5 months. Yes, I know they are Chinese, and they can just bring in armies of workers if they need to, but it is still the point I am trying to get across!

So after sweet talking my way through the construction gates, I was able to get some nice shots of the construction. A huge area, which will be really neat once it is finished. Of course, I choose one of the smoggiest days to visit the area, so you couldn't see much but what was in front of your face. This required another 1 mile walk around the complex to get to the other side to see the Aquatics center. They used a bubble design, which is pretty cool, but it is disgusting and in a city this dirty you are going to have to have someone clean the outside everyday. Great idea, but wrong place to build it!

Next to the Olympic park there is a huge hotel/luxury apartments building being put in. According to the signs it is called Morgan's 7-star complex. Not sure who is going to be staying there!

So after I was a little disappointed at the access to explore the olympic area, I stumbled upon this Chinese Ethnic park. Very very interesting area, with a detailed history of the city.  It is also very nicely maintained, so it was a nice escape from the city.

I slowly made my way back to the subway stop north of the city. It turned out to be a lot further then I ever thought. Lets just say this. If there is one thing I did today, that was see the city by foot. Beijing has hidden parks all over the place, and I found myself a few times sitting down in one to have a water break. The heat really gets to you in this city. Now I know why we always went home to Rochester in the summer months. 100-110 degrees is no fun!

Tags: Misadventures

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.