Existing Member?

Up close and personal in Beijing Knowing what you want to say in Chinese can be easy.....but understanding what these people are saying back to me may be one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. Let the adventure begin!

Sanlitun Update

CHINA | Friday, 13 July 2007 | Views [845] | Comments [1]

The pose he gave me.

The pose he gave me.

Hello Everyone,

Boy is Beijing keeping me busy. It is hard to find enough time to cram an entire city of history in with only a few weeks to do it in.

Last week at the Kindergarten was good, but we had a lot of preparing to do for the Graduation Celebration that will be taking place this friday.  You would think these 6 year olds were graduating from college, they take is so seriously. Again it is the culture, and the kids get all decked out with faces full of makeup, guys and girls!

Friday night Kim took me into the downtown bar area because I didn't believe her that Beijing had a Bar street. I mean, I guess it is normal, but in China it just seems a little funny to see people drinking Margherita's while wearing sombreros on their heads.  We went to a place called the Saddle. We took the two foreign teachers that are here with us, because they were looking for a good time. The week could not have ended any more nicely then with a cold Margherita and some nachos! We all know I have a soft spot for Mexican.

Anyways, while we were on Bar street, I learned all the "hip" Chinese lingo and tried to have some coversations with the locals. One problem I did have though, was finding the locals because most of the population around the area were foreigners. I think I saw more white people on that street then I had seen since I arrived in Beijing.  However, a normal bar street in any country would have boards displaying all of the drink specials out front and then there would be a door or patio you would enter to have a seat. This would be way to simple in China. No, instead you feel like you are back in a "Bar Market." Each employee trying to persuade you to come into their bar because of such reasons.  At one point, the employee was trying to get Kim to come into their place so hard, he actually stepped on her shoe, knocked it off, and then pretty much pissed her off. This is just another example of how much the Chinese have to fight to earn their share, because the guy next store has the exact same thing to offer.

Anyways, so since Kim knew were she was taking us, we pretty much just made our way through the prior bars and I used my Chinese to tell them we weren't interested....The Saddle had a great patio to sit on and people watch. Our show tonight was not as entertaining as the one we had watched a few nights before, but it did have some highlights. We were graced with the presence of a begger boy and his friends, who told us to f*** off when we told them to leave us alone.  They know enough english to get that point across apparently.  We had several drunk Expats pass, with their Chinese girlfriends, or soon to be brides.  I know why guys come here to maybe get women, but I don't suggest women come her to get Chinese guys.  (Take a look at my pictures if you want an explanation. The guy we found for Irene was one of the better looking ones.....)The Highlight of my evening came when I heard loud music coming our way. I looked up to find a Chinese man, decked out in shades, jewelry, and a bike taxi.  He had installed a speaker system in his "ride" to give those interested some entertainment.  Pretty much this guy had "souped up" his bike to make it more appealing to foreigners.  It was histerical, and I wish I had taken a video.  Had I not been in the middle of a Margherita, I am pretty sure I would have taken him up for a ride!

Other sights we saw were several stands selling Hooka's. I have no idea if that is hot it is spelled, but I think you get the idea. These guys were dressed like the hippies of China, and stoned if I may say so myself.  If I thought I was starting to understand Beijingnese, these guys did everything to prove me wrong.  I couldn't understand a thing they said.......Kim wanted to buy one, and I swear he said 40 Yuan, but we come to find out it was really 70 he was saying....They sound nothing alike.

The evening ended with a taxi ride home, since we had to be up early, and the ladies we were with wanted to head back.  Let's just say there will always be a new story everytime I go back there.

Tags: Laughter

Comments

1

Sounds like Tiajuana to me!

  S. Kathy Jul 21, 2007 12:51 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.