Existing Member?

Ace and Penny at Large

Varanasi (part 1)

INDIA | Thursday, 14 January 2016 | Views [634]

So Ive got good news and bad news. Good news is I am feeling much better. Bad news is Ive spent most of my time in Varanasi so far having a bad case of nausea and diarrhea. I think by tomorrow I will be able to once again face the outside world, but the past 2 days have been spent feeling very far away from home.
 
The owner of the guesthouse Im staying at gave me some psyllium husks mixed with water and a little sugar and lemon yesterday— its a natural remedy and kind of like chia seeds in that they expand and absorb water (and toxins). So the husks were supposed to clean me out. I was skeptical about taking them, but someone else here at the guesthouse said she’d had the same problem I was having and vouched for the husks. I felt a soothing effect as soon as I drank them and they stopped the nausea in its tracks. The rest of the problems are taking a bit longer to go away, but I think the husks definitely helped. Maybe I’ll bring some of the husks home. 
 
A couple people have said that what I got is my “initiation” to India and that I’ll be able to eat whatever I want from here on out. Fingers crossed! 
 
So, so far India has been a little rough, but Im not giving up yet. Im going to stay here in Varanasi until I actually see some stuff and then plan to take an overnight train to Agra to see the Taj Mahal. I figure I may as well bag the Taj since Im fairly close. Then probably on to the state Rajasthan. We’ll see how it goes . . .

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.