Existing Member?

Happily Ever After

Sapporo Snow and Ice Festival: Day 1

JAPAN | Wednesday, 16 February 2011 | Views [2565] | Comments [2]

On February 5th, we took a long weekend trip up to northern Japan to enjoy the Sapporo Snow & Ice Festival.  While our friends and families back home were wishing for warm weather, we were trading our subtropical island for some glorious snow!

The Naha Airport always has beautiful orchid displays, but we especially enjoyed this eye-catching orchid dress.  Two plane flights later, we were in snow heaven!

Our tour group of 14 (including our favorite sci-fi loving tour guide Chris) piled in taxis and headed over to the Sapporo Beer Garden for dinner.

Everything was picture perfect as we waited for our reservation time.

The candles outside even had pretty ice holders that helped add to the atmosphere.

There was even a beautiful pipe organ wagon that brought back happy memories of the Debence Antique Music World museum in Franklin, PA.

The Sapporo Beer Garden's downstairs is a large open room full of happy people, cooking and eating delicious mutton and drinking Sapporo beer.  Our group split into two tables and immediately joined in on the fun.

We cooked and ate yakiniku-style.  All-you-can-eat strips of mutton, bean sprouts, cabbage, and acorn squash (Japan's pumpkin) were available.  And the sauce was absolutely amazing!

We were all quite styling in our bibs as we ate and drank the night away.  (Brandon was quite taken with the Sapporo Dark and is hoping to find some on Okinawa.  I was quite taken with their Coke.)  It was so nice to share a wonderful meal and great conversation with our table.  We left feeling very, very full.  :) 

A wonderful night with friends, old and new, and a great start to our Sapporo adventure!

---Arielle

Comments

1

Thank you for posting! (Notice I didn't put in finally! ;)
Do they not have to worry about vandalism, or law suits from burns, that they can leave candles in glass holders out in the open?? You mean to tell me they don't have the 'sue-insanity' there? hmmm
Was the pipe organ wagon in use? That does look like something that belongs at the Debence Museum.
I don't understand yakiniku style. Does that mean one person sitting near the skillet had to cook for the whole table? Were there spices to put in while it cooked? Do you eat mutton Arielle?? ha
Sounds like a wonderful start, looking forward to more!! :D
~ Auntie A

  Amy Feb 17, 2011 3:52 AM

2

Aunt Amy,
No sue-insanity over here, I'm so glad to report! Open flames in ice lanterns, no problem! :)
The pipe organ wagon wasn't in use while we were there. Not sure if they play it for special occasions or not.
For the yakiniku style dinner we had, we each had access to the grill and cooked our own food. There weren't spices to add, but you were encouraged to dip everything in their amazing sauce. Yes, I ate mutton. When in Sapporo, do as the...
Love you much,
Arielle

  abcarlson Feb 18, 2011 10:43 PM

About abcarlson

A picturesque setting for a wedding.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.