Existing Member?

Happily Ever After

Row, row, row your kayak...

JAPAN | Monday, 26 July 2010 | Views [744] | Comments [1]

...gently down the sea!  Last weekend we decided to drag ourselves out from underneath the A/C unit, brave the heat and humidity, and go to the beach.  Since we're not big on just laying out at the beach (I need a book or something to write on or to go on a sea shell and sea glass hunt or do SOMETHING other than lay there baking in the sun), we decided we'd try our hand at sea kayaking.  Megumi and Roger were game, too, so the four of us rented 2-person kayaks at Torii Beach and off we paddled.

This is our sea-worthy craft.

The name made us smile!

It was so nice to be out on the open water!  The sea was calm and we wished for underwater cameras so we could get a good look at the bottom of the coral reef below us.  It was so peaceful out there!  We ended up out much farther than we had originally anticipated.  By the time we paddled back to shore, we were definitely exhausted and quite hungry.  Fortunately, the Grille at Torii Beach serves a mean pulled-pork sandwich and Gatorade!  And after lunch, we enjoyed a wonderful swim in the sea...until someone (not in our group) got stung by a jellyfish and we decided it might be a good time to call it a day.  :)

We'd definitely go out on the kayaks again.  And we'd highly recommend it!  (Some familiarity with paddling a canoe or kayak is helpful - thank you Boy Scouts for Brandon and Uncle Richard for me! - but as long as you know the basics, you're good to go when the sea is calm.)  If the weather is nice next weekend, you can look for us jet skiing!  Should be an another adventure!

---Arielle

Comments

1

hi got to tell you love the orange shoes love them.... fav. color lol

  crystal baker Jul 28, 2010 12:58 PM

About abcarlson

A picturesque setting for a wedding.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.