Existing Member?

Happily Ever After

Cruisin' Tokyo

JAPAN | Tuesday, 20 July 2010 | Views [1122]

After walking around Asakusa a bit and getting the obligatory photo taken with the Asahi Beer headquarters building:

(check out the "foam" on that giant mug of beer!), we set out for another adventure.

Wait, what's that you say?  You've heard about a strange sculpture next to the Asahi building and want to see a photo of it? 

Yes, folks, that is the "flame" commemorating the burning soul of the company.

Anyway, we were looking for another mode of transportation to do some sight-seeing. 

Although the rickshaws looked like a fun way of touring Asakusa, we had a big group and were looking for something a bit grander...like say, a cruise boat.  Enter "Tokyo Cruise."

We purchased passage from Asakusa to the Hidone Pier (near Odaiba.)  While we were waiting for the boat, we got another group photo; this time we grabbed Kanji from behind the camera.  (Kanji is studying photography in college, by the way, and he's r-e-a-l-l-y gifted at it!  Can you tell I'm so proud of him?! :)  It's hard to believe, but I remember when he was *this* tall.  All my little host brothers and sisters seem to have grown up so quickly!  And almost all of them seem to be taller than me, too, now.)

Once on the boat, we realized the ceilings were a bit low on the middle deck.

So we hung out below deck, where Iori was thrilled to play with Brandon's watch and wedding ring most of the trip.

We passed under 13 bridges, all of differing construction.

We also saw the new Sky Tower, which is currently the same height as Tokyo Tower, but will be the tallest tower in Tokyo when complete.

And speaking of Tokyo Tower, we got to see it again, too!

We were passed by one of the famous Tokyo Cruise ships, which was patterned after a popular anime series.  It reminded us of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

And we got to snap a quick photo of the Rainbow Bridge.

The 40 minute boat tour was very interesting, fun, and a unique way to see part of Tokyo.  After the tour, we dodged raindrops and trekked over to the metro station by way of the JR Rail Station.  Check out this famous garden out the window of one of the station's walkways.

I loved the look of all the greenery surrounded by the Tokyo skyscrapers.  Reminded me of the Japanese way of tucking greenery into every nook and cranny possible.

And to close out this day's post...a bit of Japanese signage in the station that made us laugh and remember just how close the "l" and "r" sounds are in Japanese.

All in all, a very nice day!

---Arielle

About abcarlson

A picturesque setting for a wedding.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.