Existing Member?

Happily Ever After

Happy March Sweets Day!

JAPAN | Wednesday, 31 March 2010 | Views [1526] | Comments [6]

Today was a self-proclaimed Sweets Day at our house!  Megumi, Hiromi, and Maki came over so we could celebrate our love of making "sweets" together by - you guessed it - making sweets!  With the upcoming BBQ season on its way, we couldn't pass up these cuties!

Maki sliced up the cookie dough to make "french fries" or as we call them in Japan, "potato." 

The girls took turns washing the dishes throughout our baking endeavors.  Megumi paused for me to snap a shot.

Hiromi and Maki sliced the cupcakes to make our "hamburger buns."

Hiromi cut our "burgers" out of the brownies.  Due to the fact that I didn't have a circular cookie cutter the correct size, this process ended up taking three girls, lots of thinking outside the brownie pan, and a strong arm.  The finished product was worth it, but I'll definitely be investing in a cookie cutter before I ever do these again.

Megumi carefully piped our "ketchup" icing...

while Hiromi tackled the "lettuce" and Maki applied the "mustard."

Our cute half-finished burgers, dressed up with "condiments."

They looked so tasty, it was hard to believe they were desserts instead of mini-hamburgers!  But wait, they're not done yet...


...ah, much better!  Those sesame seeds make all the difference, don't you think?

And as we know, presentation is everything over here!  So we *had* to make the baskets, paper inserts, and potato holders to complete the look and truly celebrate Sweets Day!  "Who ordered the mini-burger set to go?"

I'm sure you're all wondering - sure, they *look* really cute, but do they taste good?

Hiromi sure thought so!

Megumi and Maki agreed, too.

I can officially say the potato was good, as well.

The happy bakers!  We hope you have a Happy Sweets Day!  "Order up!"

---Arielle

Comments

1

Where did you get the liner paper and the french fry bag that says "Happy Sweets Day"? You gals are soooo clever! They look great. Did these get delivered somewhere special, or did you just eat your own handiwork? :D

  Amy Mar 31, 2010 11:02 PM

2

Oh my, those look so yummy! What did you make the "fries" out of? You did say "order up", so I'm placing my order today. I'd like a dozen, please. I have a big family to share with : )
When might I be expecting to receive my request?
You keep having fun, and thanks for sharing the experience, albeit very long distance : )

  Aunt Lyn Apr 1, 2010 12:48 AM

3

Aunt Amy - I made the liner paper using tracing paper and my printer. I'd be happy to share the file if you'd like. The original idea for these hamburger sets came from one of my favorite online bakers, Bakerella. She offers the pdf files on her site http://www.bakerella.com/fast-food-fun/ (you'll probably have to copy and paste that into your browser), but they are geared for Father's Day. I took them and adapted them for Sweets Day. We made enough so each of the girls could take home four sets and then we gave three to Sky Housing. (Boy, oh boy, was Sky Housing ever happy!) Brandon is enjoying the sets I kept. :)

Aunt Lyn - Good question! We made the "fries" out of sugar cookie dough. We rubbed sugar onto the cookies while they were still warm so it would stick and look like "salt." As for a delivery date...hmmm...maybe early October-ish? :)

So glad you all are enjoying our site! Thanks so much for the comments - they made my weekend!

Love you,
Arielle

  abcarlson Apr 1, 2010 6:56 PM

4

Sweet Happy Meals?!? How cute and clever and fun! You're something else Arielle. Something like creative, talented and patient!!!

  Betsy Apr 7, 2010 4:06 AM

5

I really shouldn't be surprised by your cleverness any more, but this one takes the cake! (pun intended)
I love it!
You're always "kickin' it up a notch", aren't you Arielle?
Bam!

  Aunt Deb Apr 7, 2010 10:05 AM

6

Yay, even more comments! I love it, I love it! So glad you enjoyed our "sweets!" We sure had a lot of fun making them!
Thanks for making me smile!
Love,
Arielle

  abcarlson Apr 7, 2010 7:41 PM

About abcarlson

A picturesque setting for a wedding.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.