Existing Member?

Happily Ever After

A day at the beach...

JAPAN | Friday, 5 February 2010 | Views [698]

The ever-changing Torii Beach

The ever-changing Torii Beach

I decided to stop off at the beach on Torii while I was on base the other day.  I'm trying to take advantage of living near the water as much as I possibly can!  :)  I'm always amazed how different the sea and beach look every time I stop.  Some days, like this day, you walk out quite a ways on exposed coral.  Other days, it's all water.

It's also fun to see what washes up on the beach day to day.  Even the colors of sea glass change; some days it's predominately one color or another, some days there is barely any to see, some days there are tons of sea shells and no sea glass.  It's like a giant, natural "Where's Waldo."

Here was my favorite find of the day!  Hello Kitty seems to have caught a wave on her surfboard and washed up on shore for me to find.  Sure made me smile!

I also love admiring the natural art.  This brightly colored leaf/flower washed up next to a whole sea urchin and was just begging me to photograph it!

The beach this day was covered in hermit crabs.  One of those days that the shells were walking away as quickly as you saw one that caught your interest.  :)  They seemed to be quite happy it's mikan season, too!

I'm also a big fan of the tidal pools made by the exposed coral.  Time just slips by as I gaze into the water and take in all the sights - little fish, crabs, snails, sea cucumbers, star fish...so pretty!


I saw this black crane (I'm not a bird expert; it's a dark version of the white cranes/egrets we have here) looking for his lunch in the tidal pools.

While I'm not ready to break out my sandals yet (it is the beginning of February, after all), a walk on the beach sure felt nice!

---Arielle

About abcarlson

A picturesque setting for a wedding.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.