Existing Member?

Happily Ever After

Egg Shop & Zoo

JAPAN | Friday, 13 November 2009 | Views [662] | Comments [1]

Arielle and Gamera - look out!

Arielle and Gamera - look out!

Megumi and I ate at a nice Japanese lunch buffet where she introduced me to the tropical Chinese fruit Lychee for dessert.  The outside of it reminded me more of a nut than a fruit, but it peeled off easily to reveal a white fruity flesh.  The closest taste comparison I can think of is a cross between a grape and a pear.  It might be one of those things that just tastes uniquely like itself, though.  Inside, there is a nut-like seed, so I'm very thankful Megumi was there to teach me how to eat the fruit (and not the seed.)  Now that I know my way around it, I'd definitely have a lychee again.

After lunch, we headed over to the Egg Shop with attached Zoo/Farm.  While it has the normal "farm" animals on display - donkey, chickens, geese, rabbits, chipmunk, goats, chinchilla (hehehe) - it also is more like a small zoo in the fact that they also have animals such as monkeys, iguanas, emu, ostriches, fruit bats, and an armadillo, just to name a few.  We definitely had a fun time wandering around and looking at the animals. 

The egg shop offers fresh, organic eggs (from their chickens) and a variety of homemade desserts.  Megumi bought cream puffs for Brandon and I to try.  I'm in love with the Japanese presentation and packaging, just in case I haven't mentioned that before.  :)  We got a cute little bag, just big enough for the two large cream puffs, complete with a sweet French saying (I don't know why French is so popular here, but it is when it comes to desserts...and wrapping paper - go figure) on the outside and a small frozen gel pack on the inside to keep our cream puffs cold on the ride home.  They just think of everything!  Brandon and I both agree, the cream puffs were delicious and we'll definitely have them again.  Thanks again, Megumi!

I added lots of photos to the gallery to show off some of the animals we saw.  Enjoy!

---Arielle

Comments

1

Looks like a fun day spent with Megumi & Gamera! Scout out all the neat places and then rate them from 1 to 100 so I’ll know what to see first on my visit to Okinawa. Love you, Dad

  Dad Nov 13, 2009 10:23 PM

About abcarlson

A picturesque setting for a wedding.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.