Existing Member?

The Long & Winding Road

Chiang Mai and the First Day in the Jungle

THAILAND | Monday, 27 October 2008 | Views [314] | Comments [1]

Yesterday we ate at Henry's restaurant for lunch.  Henry was a ladyboy and our server.  It was funny cuz we only realized she was a dude right at the end of the meal.  After that we had our meeting for the jungle trek and met the group.  2 Irish guys, Gordon and Lawrence, a french-canadian guy, Matheiu, Will and I all decided to go out for dinner together.  We had pizza cuz we were kinda sick of spicyness for the day.  After that we walked around the sunday night market, bartered for some t-shirts, then ended up checkging out a couple pubs.  Today we set out for the jungle hills area to begin our trek.  First we got to ride elephants which was pretty cool.  Then we had lunch at a base camp sort of place.  I had to use the bathroom there and the door was broken so it kept swinging open for everyone to see myself sitting on the pot.  Pretty embarrassing but funny as well.  Then we embarked on a very wet journey on slick mud trails through pretty dense forest.  It was raing the whole time.  It was actually very funny watching all the hikers who hadn't brought proper footwear falling in the mud.  Everyone was soaked and covered with mud by the end of the trek.  We made it to camp and slept beside a raging river in a bamboo hut.  Our trek guide's name was Ping Pong and he is the coolest guy ever.  So funny and helpful.  He cooked us a very good Thai dinner over the fire.  The night ended with a lot of card playing and listening to the local Thai trekking guys play the same 3 songs over and over again on the guitar.  It was hilarious.  They also included renditions of the cranberries and celine dion.  Very professional musicians!

Tags: trekking near chiang mai

 

Comments

1

Hmmm...his name was Ping Pong, eh? Are you sure it wasn't Craig??? (Simpsons reference, for anyone who thinks I'm crazy!!!)

  Sarah Wilkie Nov 2, 2008 2:51 AM

About a_hayes11


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.