Existing Member?

The Long & Winding Road

Bangkok Arrival!

THAILAND | Wednesday, 22 October 2008 | Views [348] | Comments [2]

So yesterday I arrived in Bangkok, I got in around 1030pm local time.  Took the airport bus to khao san rd.  The 3 flights back to back were a killer.  The flight from Newark to Hong Kong flew over Greenland, the arctic circle, Siberia and then over China.  I thought we wouldve just flown over the Pacific.  I guess its quicker that way, right over the top of the world.  Even though it seemed like eternity.  16 hour flight=a lot of reading, 3 movies: Spinal Tap, White Chicks and Ferris Bheuler's Day Off, a lot of snacking and just strolling around the plane to stretch your legs.  The last 4 hours were definitely the worst.  From Hong Kong to Bangkok was great, good food, service and free booze!  Thai airways rules!  And it was only a 2 hour flight.  Im staying at the Shambara Guesthouse on Khao San Rd for 10 bones a night, pretty nice, small room but it has A/C so its good.  Will is showing up tomorrow hopefully and then we'll start to check out Bangkok.  I went to buy a phone card to call my mom and there was a Thai Metal Cover band playing across the street from my hotel.  They were playing Seek and Destroy by Metallica so I grabbed a Singha beer and watched them close their set with a unique version of Cowboys from Hell by Pantera.  It was pretty cool.  Another funny thing about the airport, a huge people mover with like 30 thai nationals on it and a very loud siren drove behind one stupid tourist for like 5 minutes before he realized he was blocking the way.  I was laughing at him with all the people on board, they were yelling and he was just out of it.  One tourist holding up 30 locals, reminded me of Clifton Hill in the Falls.  This was all yesterday, today I went for a walk to check out the hood, i was instantly wet from sweating so much within 1 min of leaving my place, it is so incredibly hot and smoggy and humid here, cant wait to get to the mountains.  I saw some old temples, a fort and almost got run over by like a 100 motorbikes, waiting for Will to do the main attractions tomorrow.  Heard its snowing in Ontario, what a difference!

Tags: humid and crazy!

 

Comments

1

It was great hearing your voice last night Aaron. so glad you arrived safely and that you're getting ready now to start your great adventure. Hope Will has arrived and that you'll soon be able to leave the heat of Bangkok. Will write again soon.
Love, Mom

  Katie Hayes Oct 23, 2008 4:51 AM

2

Hi Aaron,

Glad to hear you've arrived safe and sound. Sounds like you're having a good time. Keep posting lots on here!! You're in my prayers! :)
Love, Sarah

  Sarah Wilkie Oct 25, 2008 2:51 AM

About a_hayes11


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.