Existing Member?

Big Trip Blog Bigtripblog is a multimedia travel experience capturing the adventures of Kevin and Valerie during their one year trip around the world.

Wonders of the Frontier

TURKEY | Thursday, 26 October 2006 | Views [781]

Our last stop in Turkey was Dogubayazit, a border town close to a pair of amazing tourist attractions: the Isak Pasha Palace and the beautiful, snow-capped Mt. Ararat, supposed resting place of Noah’s Ark.

The 2 hour mini bus from Van was relatively easy to arrange, and the views on the way were awesome. The road winds around Lake Van for a good while before the landscape changes to stark mountains dotted with shepherds tending their flocks of sheep. When we got into town it was raining, so we decided to take it easy and planned on getting up early the following day to hopefully catch a glimpse of Ararat and to see the palace.

The main reason to come to Dogubayazit is to see the Isak Pasha Palace, a 17th century structure that has been a palace, a fortress, and a mosque. It sits up on the rocky slopes a few kilometers out of the modern town. If you are lucky you can catch a glimpse of Mt. Ararat before the clouds sweep in and cover the summit.

We woke up early in the morning to get our sightseeing taken care of before catching one of the last minibuses to Van. First we walked out of town to see Mt. Ararat, and indeed we got lucky. The summit was unobscured by clouds, framed by a pristine blue sky. It dominates the surrounding mountains, and has supposedly been part of legend and myth for thousands of years.

The next mission was to make it up to the Isak Pasha Palace, the last spot on our itinerary and probably the place we’ve been most excited about for weeks. Seeing the palace was the main reason we set out this far east - everything else was just a bonus. We paid a minibus driver 10 lira to take us up, and when we got there we couldn’t have been more pleased. Almost no one else was there; we had this immaculate, elegant palace/fortress/mosque perched on a rocky hill with a commanding view of the surrounding mountains and countryside to ourselves to explore. We took tons of photos and video, which will do it more justice than words here. Our trip to the edge of Turkey was definitely worth it.

After that we made it back to Van, chilled out, and flew to Istanbul the next day. Next stop: Cairo.

Tags: Adventures

 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.