Existing Member?

heelspur travels

The Matterhorn, Gornergrad, Glacier and Bernina Trains

SWITZERLAND | Friday, 18 June 2010 | Views [883]

18/6/10 -Took the early Gornergrad train up to the summit and the Matterhorn, the skies were clear of fog and cloud (reportedly) and so off I went! It was pretty foggy all the way up the mountain, then suddenly the clouds parted - like I'd landed on heaven - and there she was - the Swiss Matterhorn - resplendant in the morning sun, as clear as if I were standing next to her.The clouds were sacttered beneath me, what a weird feeling.

I only had 40 minutes because I was scheduled for the glacier train from Zermatt later this morning, so I wandered around the hotel and kiosk, kicked some snow around, and that was that! People do stay up there at the lodge, and ski in the summer!They would have to be very keen. Its brisk, but not all that cold. The sun is very warm on the face, you feel as if you could run around in a tee-shirt, but you would propbably end up with frost bite on the weeny bits!

Glacier train was less of a thrill, I'd seen better on the Matterhorn and the Sunnegrat Paradiso (train up to the lovely Swiss meadows tracks, opposite the Omnia hotel, in Zermatt)- I am sure Heidi lived here on this very mountain and that I saw grandfather's cottage , it was a very surreal environment walking down the mountain back to Zermatt. Wanted to sing 'Maria'all the way down. I was very glad I ran into some Swiss mountain climbers because they led me back the safe way to Zermatt. Apparently I was on the track down that was not so safe! Thanks for the prayers, all.I had also ran out of battery on my cell phone, so thanks again! Could have been a very cold night.

Glacier train took me to Chur, a real working Swiss city (5 hours across the alps to the other side) with quite a charming old town. I stayed at the local pub (didn't realise I had booked the noisiest place in town) so I pay great homage to my gel earlplugs, at least I managed to sleep most of the night. The next day was the Bernina train, which was a real treat in store.

Lots of glaciers, mountain scenery, rivers, streams, waterfalls and just very pretty. It was also a nice day which makes it all visible, some of the glaicer train scenery was affected by the fog amd mist. The Bernina train took me to Tirano, and I then bussed it to Menaggio, via Luggano on Lake Como. Some funny stories about the buses, only those who have walked around Italy wondering where the bus stop is and why the hell isn't it here will know why I shrugged and thought - gee, I'm in Italy alright! There's no mistaking the lack of logic. Who needs it?

But a very pleasurable week in the Swiss mountains and the trains. Highly recommended!

Had some nice company in the form of other travellers too - a german and american, also travelling solo. Had a few good laughs falling about the cabin trying to take photos.

Off to Lake Como for a 6 day stay, then Verona for a few days before departure for home.

 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.