Existing Member?

Bit By Bit Spending some months in Europe. Let's see how it goes... Check ya later, Barry.

Thank God for Madrid

USA | Sunday, 7 February 2010 | Views [305] | Comments [1]

They say that Madrid is "the city that never sleeps".  Well, take it from us, laying down at 1AM here, that it sure as heck is.  We are in our hostel room, have just enjoyed a movie after over 8 hours of exploring this divine place (thank you iTunes, for your renting capabilities!), and it sounds like it's about noon out there.  People are singing in the streets, there is the occasional bang, and always the talking.  Supposedly the traffic is as heavy at 2AM on a Saturday morning in Madrid as it is at 5PM on a Monday evening.  While we haven't ventured outside in a few hours, we can definitely believe this because there aren't really roads here.  Sure, there are places to drive the cars, but they're not really road roads.  That's the thing about Madrid.  There are nice paved streets, a decent sidewalk on either side, no curbs, one way one lane, and they only serve as roads if a car is coming.  The traffic tends to be heavier during the day, but it's not uncommon for people to be wandering where the cars are supposed to be.  There's too many of us to all fit on the sidewalk.

As was just mentioned, we spent over 8 hrs. on those roads and sidewalks today, so the note for tonight is going to be brief.  However, tomorrow we have a three hour+ train ride to Figueras (a city just north of Barcelona), so Rebecca will type up the synopse of our time here and copy and paste it into the blog at the next earliest convenience (or availability of wi-fi).   

Comments

1

Sounds like Madrid is the Newyork of Spain !! I wonder how your packs are treating you as you walk around all day ? I know you both have some good training in that department so thats a plus :) I hope that train ride was nice a comforting after those Madrid experiences.

  Oldjerry Feb 18, 2010 12:50 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.