Existing Member?

Tracy's Journey

HCMC

VIETNAM | Sunday, 20 March 2011 | Views [638]

Backpacker area in HCMC

Backpacker area in HCMC

Spent the day walking around the backpacker area where there are many different tourist agencies and restaurants. There were so many tourists walking around with (guess what on their backs)- yes, backpacks and tour books in their hands. Everyone trying to figure out where they are going next and how they are getting there. I have originally thought that I would travel by train thru Vietnam but bus may be easier and less expensive – but more time consuming. They have what they call open bus tickets and you pay one price at the beginning and then you can stop wherever you want and stay the number of days you want in a particular city.  I met a Vietnamese girl in the park and we were talking and she thinks that it might be easier because then I don’t have to worry about buying tickets at the train station at each city. HCMC (Ho Chi Minh City) has a lot of nice parks and they are always filled with people (day or night).  Many people go there to walk and exercise; a lot of the parks have exercise equipment. Also groups of people just visiting or playing Jianzi (which according to the internet is not just a pastime but a national sport which is played like hacky sack but with a birdie like in badminton but it is weighted).  At night, the parks are filled with couples whispering in each other’s ears or smooching on the park benches.  After I had walked around quite a bit, I went to sit under a shade tree to rest for a little while in the park. Within a few minutes, a Vietnamese lady came to sit with me and visited. She was very interested in why I was there and what I am doing and where I was from.  Then after she left, a few minutes later another Vietnamese girl came by and wanted to talk also. She was in her early twenties going to school for Accounting and we talked about many things comparing our different cultures.  In a lot of places I have been, women ask about the acceptance of single women who are older than thirty whether it is acceptable. In a lot of these countries, women should be married by then or else they get a lot of social pressure and even looked down upon. But I think in the big cities, women are slowing changing and not wanting to marry early. They want to go to University and get a good job.

I am starting to feel like a pro crossing the streets now. And also getting more comfortable riding behind Thoa on the scooter. I don’t have to close my eyes as often but sometimes still suck my breath in to make myself skinner when we get close to other bikes.  I have also been riding the city buses and just when I thought I was doing so good – tonight trying to get back to my place I ended up in a different part of the city. But I know I got on the 152 bus, which I was supposed to get on. But luckily, the bus driver took me to where I was supposed to go. I think it was the end of his shift, so it was very nice of him. I will have to find out tomorrow from Suong what I did wrong. Oh, well – the universe is looking out for me – Thanks!

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.