Existing Member?

Travel Scholarships - Travel. Experience. Contribute.

Video FAQs: Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

TURKEY | Monday, 24 January 2011 | Views [9308] | Comments [12]

Dreaming about going on assignment with Rough Guides in Turkey??

 

If you've already read all the info about our Travel Writing Scholarship and still have some questions or would like a bit of extra insight, hopefully our video blog below will help you. 

 

Clare Currie, Publishing Director for Rough Guides gives us an insider's view on what you can expect from this opportunity;


- What kind of writer are you looking for?

- What am I going to get out of this scholarship?

- What skills set apart a Rough Guides travel writer?

Watch Clare's video

 

 

 

 

Amanda Byrne, Progams Marketing Managing for Worldnomads talks about scholarship eligibility and how to apply.

 

Watch Amanda's video

 

 

Good luck everyone, we look forward to receiving your submissions!

 

 

Travel. Learn. Create.

For all of you aspiring creatives, check out our Scholarships page and sign up to hear about our latest opportunities, tips, advice and interviews with industry professionals in the fields of photography, travel writing and filmmaking.

And if you're lucky enough to be mentored by one of our industry professionals, it could kick start your career!

About WorldNomads.com

WorldNomads.com keeps you travelling safely.  Whether you’re off for a long weekend, looking for the ultimate adventure or living the nomadic dream, you’ll stay safe with Travel Insurance you can buy online, anytime, and the latest travel safety advice. Learn how to flirt in over 25 languages with our free language guides and have an experience of a lifetime on a travel scholarship. We'll also help you share your journey with a free travel blog, get answers from other nomads to all of your travel questions (try the new 'Ask A Nomad' iPad app) and donate to a local community development project through our Footprints program.  

WorldNomads.com - an essential part of every adventurous traveller's journey.

 

 

Comments

1

Are the expenses of acommodation and living expenses covered?

I APPRECIATE THIS OPPORTUNITY VERY MUCH!

  Tina Mar 11, 2011 12:41 AM

2

Hi! I am currently in China and want to apply for the scholarship, the problem is that youtube videos are blocked by the government here, so I am not able to see them. Is there any other way? Maybe you have a transcript I can read? Or the videos are also uploaded somewhere else?

  Aniko Mar 12, 2011 4:19 PM

3

Hi Tina - check the terms and conditions which outlines everything which is covered;

http://journals.worldnomads.com/scholarships/story/67204/Worldwide/Travel-Writing-Scholarship-2011-Applications-Open!

Aniko - if you also check the above link, everything you need to know about applying is covered in the main application page, The video is more an elaboration of some of these point, but just let us know if you have any particular questions and I will try to help you.

Thanks, Amanda

  scholarships Mar 14, 2011 10:08 AM

4

Hi , I am Hind from Morocco .I got a BA in English Studies .Right now I am working , is it possible for me to participate.

  Hind Mar 18, 2011 4:53 AM

5

Dear Amanda,

I am so excited about this opportunity, and just submitted my entry. Is it advantageous to fill out the profile, with a photo, description, etc. too? I'm having a bit of trouble because whenever I try to add photos, it says that Mozilla 3.1 isn't supported? It would be great if you could help me out.

Thanks!
Isabel Eva

  isabeleva Mar 18, 2011 9:47 PM

6

Are freelance translators considered "writers"? :D I'd love to apply, but I'm not sure if I qualify.

  Cristina Mar 21, 2011 3:49 AM

7

Hi all,

Hind - it depends what you are working as? Check the eligibility requirements.

Isabel - It so not necessary to add a photo, but as this is a travel blogging website and lots of other travellers will be reading your story, photos are always appealing. But it wont hinder/help your chances in the scholarship. Try using a newer web browser

Thanks,
Amanda

  scholarships Mar 23, 2011 10:17 AM

8

Hi,

I've read all the terms and conditions but there's something I'm still not clear on.

I used to be a "professional" writer in the sense that I derived my income from a search engine optimization firm but I've been promoted to editor (my tasks are more like that of a proofreader) and I no longer get the chance to write. Also, I've never been published with a byline except for one tiny freelance job. Am I still qualified?

Thanks!

  dru Mar 24, 2011 10:17 AM

9

Hi Amanda, would just like to check if it is possible to amend the personal details or the tell us about yourself section of the application. have look high and low for it on the site but couldn't seems to locate it. Thanks in advance. :)

  sratsthgin Mar 25, 2011 5:31 PM

10

Hi,

I submitted my entry a couple of minutes back. While filling the 'about me' description, I mentioned that I have written for a few websites. However, these are as part of 'reader contributions' so I hope it is not misconstrued as 'professional writing'. It would be great if you could let me know if that wont be a problem.

Thanks,
Neeraj

  neerajnarayanan Mar 28, 2011 10:42 AM

11

This looks amazing! Is there a 2012 competition??

  Luke Jan 10, 2012 6:39 AM

12

Hi Luke,

Yes, this is an annual scholarship. Check back in late February for details of our 2012 competition.

Cheers,
Alicia

  scholarships Jan 10, 2012 8:54 AM

About scholarships


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.