Existing Member?

Travel Scholarships - Travel. Experience. Contribute.

Life of a Travel Writer. Our Rough Guide mentor tells all!

WORLDWIDE | Wednesday, 19 January 2011 | Views [13687] | Comments [1]

So you think you've got what it takes to be the our next Travel Writing Scholarship winner? We caught up with Rough Guides writer and mentor Terry Richardson to give us the lowdown on writing from the road.

 

How did you get your break in travel writing?

 

I was working in Turkey as an EFL (English as a Foreign Language) teacher in the mid-1990’s, and in my free time got involved in waymarking Turkey’s first long distance walking trail, the Lycian Way. Later, when trying to promote the route at a travel show in Manchester, I approached the Rough Guides stand and got talking. They were interested in what I was doing and suggested I write a short test piece. So I did, and for the next edition of RG Turkey I was on board as an updater.

What is the life of travel writer like?

 

 

It’s impossible not to come out with the clichés here, so here goes. It’s definitely not as glamorous as many people think, as much of the work, checking out hotels, bus time tables et al, is fairly routine. It’s also physically very demanding, with research days often starting soon after sunrise and running through to the late evening – there’s a lot of foot-slogging to be done. Then there are all the days and weeks tied to your computer post-research writing it up, and then re-writing bits as the editing process kicks-in! But the compensations are immense – I love Turkey and never get bored of travelling around it in the way I still like best – with a rucksack strapped to my back and using local transport.

 

How much time do you spend on the road each year?  Typically how long do you get to cover a destination?

 

 

It’s very hard to quantify how long I’m away from my Antalya (on Turkey’s Mediterranean coast) home each year, but I guess it must be about three months, though that includes time doing my ‘other job’, leading tours around Turkey’s rich archaeological and historical sites. And I still keep my hand-in teaching (history) at an international school – fortunately they are very understanding about my need for flexibility. To update a chapter of RG Turkey I usually reckon on three weeks in the field. It also depends on how much writing up I do whilst on the road.

 

 

What is the best thing about being a travel writer?

 

 I enjoy the sheer exhilaration and adventure of being on the road and the chance to go back, time and time again, to fabulous places such as Istanbul, Troy, Mount Ararat, Lake Van and Ephesus. Then there’s the freedom of being your own boss - post research I may be tied to my computer for weeks, but even then, when I need a break, I can just get up and walk away and come back when I’m in the mood. I love what I do, I try to craft the best words that I can and yes, I still get a thrill from seeing my name (and photographs) in print.

What’s the worst?

 

 

Having had a ‘safe’ job ie teaching, just occasionally I shiver at the precariousness of the job – everything is contracts and you never know when the work might dry-up. It’s also sometime hard to keep up friendships with people in ‘normal’ jobs, as just as you get to know someone or form a routine you’re back on the road. You won’t get picked for the local football team if you’re a travel writer! Nor will you ever be rich

 

What kind of talents single out the best travel writers?

 

A passion for the country or place you’re writing about is pre-requisite, for me at least. I know Turkey very well after more than twenty years either travelling or living here, and it never fails to fascinate me. Perseverance – you’ll need it when you’re visiting the tenth look-alike hotel of the day, it’s nearly 40 C and you’ve still got a raft of restaurants to check out that evening. You also have to be very thorough, checking and cross-checking your facts – travellers rely on all those addresses, telephone numbers and the like being correct. Having a way with words is definitely important, but don’t despair if you’re not naturally gifted - guide-book writing is as much craft as innate talent.

 

I want your job!  Where should I start?

 

Good question! I came to travel writing pretty late in life (mid30’s) and already had many years of experience in my chosen country under my belt before putting fingers to keyboard. But even if you’re young, I’d suggest getting to know one country (or even region of a country) as well as you can, then you have something to ‘sell’ to the likes of the Rough Guide ie knowledge. Of course you’ll also need to hone your research and writing skills, be persistent in pursuing your ambitions after the inevitable rejections and wait for that lucky break.

Travel. Learn. Create.

For all of you aspiring creatives, check out our Scholarships page and sign up to hear about our latest opportunities, tips, advice and interviews with industry professionals in the fields of photography, travel writing and filmmaking.

And if you're lucky enough to be mentored by one of our industry professionals, it could kick start your career!

About WorldNomads.com

WorldNomads.com keeps you travelling safely.  Whether you’re off for a long weekend, looking for the ultimate adventure or living the nomadic dream, you’ll stay safe with Travel Insurance you can buy online, anytime, and the latest travel safety advice. Learn how to flirt in over 25 languages with our free language guides and have an experience of a lifetime on a travel scholarship. We'll also help you share your journey with a free travel blog, get answers from other nomads to all of your travel questions (try the new 'Ask A Nomad' iPad app) and donate to a local community development project through our Footprints program.  

WorldNomads.com - an essential part of every adventurous traveller's journey.

 

Comments

1

This gave me so much insight. Thank you for sharing. Everything noted. Praying for more insight into my process. Hoping the journey becomes less foggy but stepping into the mist fearlessly. I will be anxious for nothing...

Travel writing...hit me out of nowhere...

  Vishala Ganesh Mar 13, 2011 4:25 PM

About scholarships


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.