Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Clothing 2-Go

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 24 July 2007 | Views [1038]

Hoi An is the custom clothing factory of Vietnam.  People come from all over the world with pictures and catalogs displaying the articles of designer clothing they want to have duplicated and tailor fit to their bodies.  Silk and fabric shops line the streets with mannequins featuring the latest and hottest outfits.  Every step we take down the street, the women shop owners call out, "Come see my shop, you buy something, no charge for looking."  A Scottish couple that we've met shared a funny sales pitch that they were confronted with... "Lady, we make large sizes for big breasts and stretchy material for big western butts."  Her husband was presented with "Big hat for a big head!" Guess they haven't yet learned the lines that turn on clients, and the ones they should avoid that turn off potential business.  You can literally have anything made here for a fraction of the cost in the States.  Designer suits, shoes and handbags to match... full wardrobes can be tailor made in only a day or two, for under a couple hundred US dollars.  The fabrics are beautiful, and come in all sorts of colors, patterns and quality to suit different price requirements.  While tempting, no longer having an office job, I no longer feel the need or desire to have suits of fine silk materials made.  In fact, I donated or gave away most of my business wardrobe before leaving on this trip, and not knowing what our plan is in 8 months time, any purchases for us would be a waste of valuable travel money.  Even a simple sundress would be excess baggage... no chance here of risking having to end our trip early because we splurged on fine clothing!

Tags: Shopping

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.