Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

The Chic and Hip in Recoleta

ARGENTINA | Monday, 21 January 2008 | Views [1762]

The wealthy upper class in Buenos Aires resides in Recoleta, both living and deceased. This Barrio is noted for it's beautiful old mansions, French architecture and leafy green parks. We're told that it costs an enormous amount to live in this area, however, not nearly as much as it does to rest quietly in a plot in the ever-so-famous Recoleta Cemetery. This is where Argentinean elite are laid to rest, within the huge, ornate marble mausoleums. Among the high flying status holders and those with elite surnames, the remains of "Evita" are also housed here. "Evita", Maria Eva Duarte de Perón, the wife of former President Perón, is to this day still celebrated by the masses who appreciate the social assistance she pioneered for lower class women. Most people outside of Argentina may know of her works through the movie "Don't Cry for Me Argentina," by Alan Parker. We spend hours checking out the magnificent sarcophagi and ornate mausoleums but finally retreat under the heat of the sun, heading through markets of local handicrafts, and finally to a little outdoor cafe to hydrate. We watch dog walkers cruise by with their gatherings of ever so pompous pure bread doggies. Walking through neighborhoods, it's surreal to see the gorgeous homes, knowing that so many in Buenos Aires live in poverty. This is an exclusive, well protected area that we find in any city we visit - home of the privileged. For us, a nice afternoon stroll, chatting with new people on the streets, learning and soaking up as much as we can about locals and their lives here.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.