Existing Member?

Aiming For The Never-Ending Horizon

Berlin's Underground Art Scene

GERMANY | Saturday, 16 August 2014 | Views [1954] | Comments [1]

I find it hard to form a connection with a city that doesn’t promote street art. I cannot feel comfortable walking the streets of a place that doesn’t allow its people to have a creative outlet. Some may find graffiti dirty and an indication of a population’s troubles and misdemeanours. I view it as a celebration of freethinking.

There was not much I desperately wanted to do in Berlin besides exploring the living galleries of murals and political messages that adorn the city’s walls. After spending my first day fumbling up and down alleyways trying to find the best art I signed up for a free graffiti walking tour through my hostel.

Pointing Faces

Street art is not necessarily a passion of mine. I am not familiar with the names and works of famous artists and rarely know the messages behind certain pieces. But I appreciate the work these artists put in and the risks they take to produce their vision. With the help of our well-informed guide we wandered through neighbourhoods admiring the tenacity of the creator’s efforts. I recognised some of the large pieces plastered on multi-storey walls but learning about the artist’s history and intended message brought a new level of understanding to this form of expression.

In a city such as Berlin however it was viewing the smaller pieces that lay hidden amongst the masses, which really helped me develop a new appreciation for street artists. The tiny stencils that are strategically placed in opportune spots around the city form brilliant contrasts with the larger well-known designs such as the ‘Spaceman’.

Half a day was barely enough to scrape the tip of the iceberg here in Berlin. I can imagine weeks would be required to discover many of the most amazing expressions of art and many of them lay concealed in abandoned buildings. As I continue to stroll up and down the streets I long to better understand the plights of some of these artists. One day I will return better equipped to discover as many of these vibrant pieces as possible.

Spray Can Crying

Coloured Piece

Octopus

Gas Mask

 

Tags: berlin

Comments

1

Some great pics, thanks for putting them up here.

How would I book a graffiti tour? ;-)

  Los4Words May 30, 2015 6:33 AM

About jazzanomadica


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.