Existing Member?

Aiming For The Never-Ending Horizon

First Impressions Of A New City

GERMANY | Friday, 15 August 2014 | Views [1693] | Comments [1]

“So, this is what Europe looks like.”



When I boarded the bus from the airport to downtown Berlin I studied the world outside of the window through jet lagged eyes. Everything is so clean. Where are the street dogs? Everyone appears to be following the road rules. Maybe I have just been in Asia too long, but these were my first thoughts of Europe. I was shocked at how civilised everything was. It may take me a while to get used to this. But I like it.

Berlin Street

Yet in a city that I thought would be vastly different to what I am used to there were still interesting similarities that confronted me constantly. It was refreshing to walk down the streets and not be worried a renegade scooter would take me out, but instead it was the renegade cyclists I had to watch out for. Deciding to explore a graffiti-infused alleyway resulted in me being yelled at in words I didn’t understand by a passionate yet deranged lady. I even caught a glimpse of a tuk tuk that operated by pedal power. Flashbacks of Asia with a twisted dynamic.

Pedal Tuk Tuk

Normally I am not a fan of big cities. I tend to find them more or less the same as whatever other busy cities I have discovered. Berlin seems different however. It has a rawness that oozes out from the streets. The history here is quite intense and still fresh in the local’s memories. The political vibe floating in the air is unlike anything I have ever experienced. Perhaps it is not as civilised as my first impression. This city longs for further exploration.

Capitalism Causes Spirtural Damage

Stretch Of The Berlin Wall

Berlin Wall Statue

 

 

Tags: berlin

Comments

1

I like the street art, is there a lot of it in Berlin? Street art gives a very distinct character to a city.

  Natasha Amar Aug 16, 2014 10:22 PM

About jazzanomadica


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.