Existing Member?

Our Travels

Vietnam - Mui Ni, Dalat & Nah Trang

VIETNAM | Friday, 29 June 2007 | Views [2644] | Comments [2]

Candice's first beer, it's a Fosters.

Candice's first beer, it's a Fosters.

Long entry this time!
We left Ho Chi Min City on 23rd and caught the bus to Mui Ne.
We asked how long the bus would take and all of the travel places will tell you 4 hours...they lie, put another (at least) 2 hours on top.

We got to Mui Ne and it was like a ghost town. It is just a strip of beach with resorts on one side and the locals on the other with restaurants. If you decide to go there, make sure it isn't rainy season and you don't intend on doing anything but sun baking and swimming in the ocean. It rained the whole 2 days we were there. We did get to do a little bit of sight seeing though.
We first went to the Fairy Springs were the guide drops you off and tells you to walk up this stream 1km. We weren't really game to walk in the water not knowing what was in it but this little boy led us up the steam to the little waterfall past all the different colored sands. He cost us US$1 for his troubles. 
We then went to the White Sand Dunes as you can see in the photos, this place was awesome. These little kids come up to you with a piece of thin plastic for you to slide down the dunes on, it cost US$1 for each board...rip off but they were cute kids. We had fun mucking around with them and sliding down the big dunes. 
After that our driver took us to the Red Canyon, then to the yellow dunes.

We left Mui Ni (YAY!!) and headed to Dalat (Da Lat). We caught this little mini bus that was chokers and it took us to this half way point were we swapped for a bigger bus...THANK GOD!
We headed up this winding road to Dalat, the higher we went the cooler it got. It was a pleasant surprise from the muggy hot weather.
We got to Dalat after "4 hours" + another 2 hours on top. The bus pulled up at this hotel and it was only US$6 so we were keen to see the room. It wasn't the best room but it has satellite TV, hot water and a bed so we were sold.
Because Dalat is 1400m above sea level it is a cool temp. It was raining up there as well and made it really cold. We both liked Dalat with its winding roads and great atmosphere. We only stayed 2 nights but it could have been longer.
We went on a tour around the town and it literally rained all day. The tour took us to a waterfall and went on this little rollercoaster that you ride down and it tows you back up again, we had a heap of fun on these ones. Then it took us to the pagoda temples where all the monks live, then to the crazy house (this place was really cool) this lady and her architect husband have done up this hotel/house with crazy rooms. Had to be there moment. We then headed to the last king of Vietnam’s summer palace, then to the Valley of love where we had our photo taken in a love heart! The rain started to really come down and our tour guide said we wouldn’t be able to see anything else so we headed back to our hotel to get into the warm.
We then hoped on the net and got to chat to everyone which was awesome.

The next day (27th) we left Dalat and headed to Nah Trang, on the only travel we know how…by bus. This was a trip to remember! It was full again and most of the Vietnamese people had motion sickness. It was a winding road down from Dalat so you can’t blame them really.
We got to Nah Trang, 2 hours late again. It’s a little beach town but is heaps better then Mui Ni! There was the same set up as the last hotel where you get straight off the bus and go into the hotel. We had a look at the rooms and it was the same set up. Candice didn’t like that place and we started walking to the other accommodation areas. Jamie had the $hits because we walked a fair way with our backpack just to find some accommodation, not knowing if it would be better.
However these guys on motorbikes showed us a brochure and we followed them to this hotel up the street about 10mins. We had a look at the place and it was really clean, new and reasonably priced at US$10 per night.  We have stayed here for 3 nights and have had so much fun. We have been relaxing on the beach under the shady huts, with locals approaching us with stuff to sell ALL THE TIME! This one girl told Jamie that she would play rock/scissors/paper; if he lost he had to buy Mentos for 10,000 dong, if he won she would leave us alone…he lost.
We went out to the pub for a few ales last night at the local Sails club. Candice had her first full beer/shandy, with good old Fosters! It was the cheapest on the menu.
We went to the markets and had a look around at some “real” Channel and Louis Vitton bags.
We then bought some Chocovinas (chocolate coated biscuits with marshmallow inside), they were gross so we handed them out to the little kids who wouldn’t leave us alone trying to sell stuff. They loved it!
We don’t want to leave because it is really beautiful and the weather is great.
However good things must come to an end and but we leave for Hoi An tomorrow.

Tags: Sightseeing

 

Comments

1

Hey guys,

Wow, been reading along with your holiday!
It sounds like you having a crazy awesome time....getting lots of cool interesting adventures!
Keep having a blast n writing your coments - they really good to read....and give good ideas and things to daydream about in boring classes!

Love ya
Dafxxx

  Mel H Jul 3, 2007 12:29 PM

2

Hi there well how excitement NSW beat QLD in state of Origin last night 18 to 4 Yippeeeee. Even though Qld won the series it was a super result last night Yeah.
All is well here need to hear from you again with your adventures. Bob Reynods (next door neighbour)bother was killed ina car accident on Tuesday I will fill you in a your email. Dad has the flue. Dave and Lis Paton are coming to stay to-morrow to get Jeremys gear as he is moving back to Brisbane as he a Inga have parted. Aunty Shirley and family arrive Saturday for a wedding at Rydges Must go Love Mum xoxoxo

  pauline stait Jul 5, 2007 9:28 AM

About jamie_candice


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.