Existing Member?

chinapies

The end of Macau

CHINA | Sunday, 26 August 2007 | Views [864] | Comments [1]

Well, it's sunday now, and we're just about done with Macau. Next stage of the journey is... Chengdu! Via Zhuhai airport though, so we gotta negotiate with all of our luggage to get to the Macau border, then do everything possible to avoid stairs.

I got some more pictures! These were taken a couple days ago when we were wandering around Macau gettin' Lindsay's visa sorted. Ok, once I work out how to embed them into this blog via Flickr (which may or may not work in China), you will see the better side to this place... gimme a sec...

Ok so this is a blurry-as photo of the Golden Dragon Casino at dusk. The foreground is not covered in giant crabs - they're scooters. I must admit, as far as a den of inequity is concerned, this casino doesn't rank as high as the others in the neighbourhood do.

This cute little park is in an equally cute little township called Coloane. Not a bad little spot. We were stopping here coz there's a bakery in the town centre that's supposed to be world famous... here it is:

It's the decrepit building in the middle. Water Street Bakery eat your heart out. Here they make their croissants out of untreated leather, and their baked cheesecakes? Guaranteed indigestion. The "world-famous" aspect of this place is their egg tarts, which I must admit were pretty darn good. Apparently people travel from all over to eat at this place, which makes me think that good baking in mainland China will be non-existent. No more lemon-yogurt cake for Mr Pies! :-(

This is Shamim. He is from Sydney. He is taking a picture of me. I am taking a picture of him. It may be that we are both retarded. I hope he does not mind me saying that.

Established in 1989, and over 1,000,000 customers inflicted with interesting diseases. Oh yeah I forgot to mention the ginger-ade they served - not bad at all! It is a drink that tries to punch it's way out of the back of your throat with every sip, very nice!

View from Coloane. And yes, that is a real car. Cute, huh.

This is a flower. A what? A flower. Oh, it's a flower! And a big one at that... apparently this thing is famous. Notice the color-coordination thing I got goin' on? Very deliberate I tell you.

Ok the above picture is of the awesomest thing ever invented... what looks at first to be an innocent cup of tea is, in fact, a cup of coke. Hot coke. Unfizzy hot coke. Sound gross? Well, guess what... it's boiled with ginger! And holy flang! Ees good senores! Gonna be makin' me some cokeginger when I in Chengdu!

Helloooooooo! This is Lindsay! She in Macau too! :-)

This is a duck. A what? A duck. Oh it's a duck! Apparently this duck is the official mascot of the 2008 Beijing Olympics. It has a look of consternation on it's face because - apparently - ducks aren't allowed to compete in the any of the swimming races, for obvious reasons.

When Mt. Pinatubo erupted in the early 90's, it attracted a lot of attention, and hence, a lot of money after writing it's award-winning autobiography "My Life as an Erupting Volcano". However, since then, it has been consigned to moping around the back-streets of Asia as an unemployed geological feature, similar to the demise of Vanilla Ice (I mean c'mon... that hair deserved at least a trig point notation!). BUT fortune favors the brave, and now a much-reduced-in-size Pinatubo can be found in Macau posing as a casino. But he will grow, and there will be trouble...

Another time, folks.

Pies tip of day: Starting a decent bakery in China could be a good business prospect. However, if you do, this idea is copyrighted to me, so please send a 10% royalty to me when you make a profit. Or else.

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Andy FanAndy ;)
Its been fun reading your outrageous stories. It's the typical 'white man first time in Asia' novel! HAHAH!! You can spank me when you see me...
Welcome to Asia...where its all about how good the food taste and not about how nice the restaurant or bakery or food stall looks ;) hehehe! The grubbier the place, the yummier the food!
Give us more Andy SwAndy ;P
your horrible sis 'out' law,
sothie fonothie

  sothie mothie Aug 29, 2007 3:04 PM

About chinapies


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.