Existing Member?

Get Jealous

Chiang Mai

THAILAND | Sunday, 25 November 2007 | Views [1160]

When I first thought about the places I wanted to visit in Thailand, Chiang Mai was not on the list at all. But after changing my non-existing plan I flew northwards and finally spent one week in lovely Chiang Mai.

Chiang Mai and climbing at the Crazy Horse crag was great. The limestone crag with huge caves is a fantastic climbing spot with a lot of routes and not very crowded. Finally I spent five days on climbing. I am not the I-have-to-see-every-wat with me-in-front-of-every-existing-temple-pic person. I met very good people with the same spirit and mindset and had a great time.

On the one rest day Jamie (my Canadian climbing partner who rode her bike from Bangkok to Chiang Mai) and I rented some motorbikes to visit Thailand's highest peak Doi Inthanon. Unfortunately I lost her after our stop at the gas station, not even ten minutes after leaving the rental store. Because I couldn't find her anymore I left the town nevertheless and got nearly stuck in some water hole on the dirt road (I assumed the track to be a shortcut ;-)).

On Saturday, the Rock Climbing Festival was held and we were talked into participating. It was fun, but more to watch the Open's category than to climb the wall myself.

During the other climbing days we explored the crag and at night the town at the Night Bazaar or enjoyed the scenery during Loy Krathong (A festival celebrated annually throughout Thailand. It is held on the full moon and falls into November. Activities include krathong floating, fireworks, cultural performances and amazing light shows.) at the riverside.

Muad

Muad

Tags: Climbing

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.