Existing Member?

The World that I have experienced

The feeling of being a Sri Lankan for three days

SRI LANKA | Saturday, 14 April 2012 | Views [428]

“So this is your itinerary for the day.  Gayan will tour you around the city of Colombo, probably visit other places, and of course, he will also bring you to Mcdonald’s.”  Dr. Deshapriya Wijetunge reminding me and Gayan (a member of the Sri Lanka United Nations Friendship Organization or SUNFO) about the places we’re about the visit that day in Sri Lanka. It was my second day then and I was so excited to visit these places, as they are recommended by the good Director General.

I was a College student then when I received an Invitation from Dr. Deshapriya Wijetunge. Since I will be going to India to attend an International Youth Conference, he also asked me if I can visit the Sri Lanka United Nations Friendship Organization in Sri Lanka to which he is the Director General. Since, I was an International Relations student then, I said to myself, “Why not?” since the visit will be of great help to me too as a student and at the same time as a future diplomat.

After the tour with my new found friend Gayan, Dr. Wijetunge asked me to wear something formal for I will be visiting an International School in their place. He actually asked me to prepare a short speech for the students of Day Bright International School. I was fetched by a white car and was brought directly to the very nice school. I was shocked to see a lot of students in queue waiting for me to alight from the car. I alighted the car and was greeted by sweet smiles of the students. They handed me garlands of flowers as a sign of respect and warm welcome to their school.  

I was again surprised with the students of Day Bright as I witnessed them listening to me very politely and attentively. The teachers and the staff of the school at the same time were also polite during my tour to their school. After the program, the teachers let me visit some of the classes and the other facilities of the school. They also let me try some authentic Sri Lankan cuisine which I found very sweet for teachers to do.

I bid farewell to the students, teachers and staffs of the school with a promise that I will be back to experience their hospitality again.

I was so thankful to the good Director General for letting me experience such warm people. The half a day tour with my friend Gayan was a very brilliant one already and ending it with an experience of a lifetime with the students and educators in Sri Lanka is something far more better. I thought the experience already ended since I was scheduled to leave Sri Lanka the next day, but I was wrong.  SUNFO officers and members prepared a humble yet very nice and very heartwarming Sri Lankan dinner for me. There I met a lot of people too. They have shared a lot of their experiences with me. They told me how they work with United Nations, how they play and enjoy while serving their nation and the world. I have witnessed their strong spirit of camaraderie and brotherhood. I have seen the guidance that their officers and mentors have given them that had helped them to become the person of who they are now – respectful, humble, intelligent, promoter of service to others, and humane.

The next day, I left Sri Lanka with a hard heart. I am thankful because SUNFO gave me the chance to know Sri Lanka by experiencing the country. I have learned how the country treats its visitors.

 

 

I have to agree with this saying, “Experience is the best teacher.” Before visiting Sri Lanka, I must admit, I know very little about this country.  But after the trip, I have learned so much. For just a three day visit to the country, I have to say, I have known Sri Lanka, I have met the people, and I have experienced the culture.

I am inviting you, the one reading this, to experience Sri Lanka through the SUNFO, I’m sure it will be an experience of a lifetime for you. I have never experienced such warm welcome from a foreign country. I have never been so at home in a foreign land. I want you to experience this too.

 

The best way to teach a person about the cultures of the world is to experience it. Just merely reading about a particular country’s ways and people will not guarantee you a strong foundation of a development. It may of course at first help the person to be knowledgeable about a particular country, but of course 

Tags: dehiwalla, sri lanka, sri lanka united nations friendship organization, sunfo, wijetunge, zarny zaragoza

About zworld


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Sri Lanka

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.