Existing Member?

The World that I have experienced

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 12 April 2012 | Views [271] | Scholarship Entry

It was springtime of 2010 in Shanghai when I first visited the Middle Kingdom. I was so excited to visit the place that I learned to love during my University days.

I am so fascinated with Shanghai in almost all aspects of this modern city and these things made me define China as well - shopping, bar hopping, endless drinking, dancing, etc. - almost the same with that of the West. But my view in this dragon country changed because of a trip.

Me and some of my friends decided to take a trip to Zhouzhuang, the "Venice of China." The place is considered to be the best water town in the country. Allow me to tour you to this town.

Gastronomical

It's funny because almost all restaurants inside this small city have the same menu offerings. They are all proud in selling their very own delicacies. It seems that the people from Zhouzhuang will not let the tourists leave the place without letting them experience their food.

Scene

The Dragon Boat Festival just took place when we visited Zhouzhuang. The designed boats and actors in costumes made the place appeared to be a market scene during the Song dynasty. Adding to the scene are the wide rays of sunlight touching the river of the town.

Another thing that fascinated me most in this place are the small streets surrounding the river. These streets lead us to vast museums, old houses and parks.

People

On the last day of our stay, I craved for fried chicken. A restaurant menu doesn't offer it. The owner told us that they can cook it for us.

People are generally sincere and genuine. They love to please tourist without jeopardizing their customs and traditions. Once I was hesitant to try a candy, the vendor offered a Free taste.

Realizations

After the trip I realized that it isn't bad to be simple sometimes. Sometimes, it isn't all about what is "in," because most of the time what is "in" doesn't really define who you are. Rather, it's all about showing the world your true colors and let it embrace you for that.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About zworld


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.