Existing Member?

Travels

Winding down Pushkar, winding down shopping

INDIA | Tuesday, 3 March 2009 | Views [361]

Today, I am committed to buying a ticket to Agra and leaving Pushkar by Wed night.  I've been here shopping for a week and I could stay longer, but I really want to see more if India, go to the Taj Mahal, and spend time in Varnasi.  I'm almost out of my budgeted store money.

My time here in Pushkar has been nice...I've shared meals with Diana (the rose quartz woman) everyday.  I've met many shopkeepers from all over the world who are here buyng merchandise for their stores.  Today, I met Guido, a Peruvian man with a store in Paris.  We shopped for skirts together.

I'm learning so much.  And I'm realizing that (with any luck) I'll need to come back here...or somewhere...within 6 months of opening my store becuase I think I only have enough inventory for 6 months.  Most of the store owners buy merchandise 3-5 times a year.

So far, I've got tons of jewelry or really nice quality- very unique deigns with organic shapes and ltos of faceted stones and natural stones.  I've got the most beautiful handmade embriodered wall hangings, fashioned with mirrors and all sorts of shiny things. I picked only the best of the best quality. I've got some scarves and jewelry boxes and today I have someone packing incense for me.  I've also got some belts.  I just buy whatever brings me joy...whatever I'm drawn to. 

The only challenge has been buying clothes.  I realized I just don't have a passion for clothing, but I'm buying some because I think it will help fill out the store.  If I ever get a business partner, he or she will have to be in charge of clothes because I feel clueless.  I can't tell silk from rayon!  I'm used to just wearing lots of black myself. 

So today, I make my last few purchases, and tomorrow, I'll find someone with a cart to help wheel my things to the courier and ship them off.  Tomorrow night I'll be bound for the Taj Mahal! 

About zoejoy


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.