Existing Member?

A New Adventure We do but turn another page - Act Three!

Baharoon

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES | Friday, 26 February 2010 | Views [439]

it’s midnight and I just got back from my evening with Baharoon the guy that did plays with us in Kuwait - Madwoman of Chaillot and The Skin of our Teeth - now he is vice president of the first think tank in the UAE who acts as a consultant for government and private companies helping them deal with the media and with other entities in Dubai and the vice director of Watani - the organization trying to improve the national identity of the UAE. They are doing lots of activities beyond publishing the Ajaaj superhero comics like camps to teach traditional crafts, music, poetry and cooking; trade marking and “branding” Dubai, Abu Dhabi, etc. He talked excitedly about the way that Dubai had made a conscious effort to be a world center of trade and so had changed in the bargain - allowing alcohol, beach resorts, nightclubs, etc and appealing to Europeans first and then the rest of the world to see Dubai as a luxury tourist destination. Meanwhile, they established free zones where foreigners could own businesses and land, going around the GCC rules about ownership only for Gulf citizens.

His hope through these actions is to engender acceptance on both sides and get away from the “us vs. them” mentality, so that they all feel a part of the development of Dubai. We went to the Mercato, an Italian style mall which was having a theatre festival - however, because it was the Prophet’s birthday, there were no performances going on. Then he took me to a restaurant on the creek - not sure why it’s not called a river. Beautiful views - had some tea and ginger milk in the diwaniya and then a buffet of local favorites and grilled seafood. The “hissar” was the best - a bread and chicken bake that tasted a lot like turkey and dressing. Baharoon said that it is eaten during Ramadan - a Dubai comfort food and he said he was reminded of it at Thanksgiving dinner in the States.

We talked for hours about theatre, Islam, literature and random bits of nonsense. He has a great sense of humor and is quick with comebacks and barbs. What an amazing reunion and to have all that time and distance wiped out so easily. Backstage friends are friends forever I feel. Three cheers for the internet and e-mail which can let such connections happen.

 

 

Travel Answers about United Arab Emirates

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.