Existing Member?

Knowing God, Making God Known... My experience and adventures as I am living, learning, and working with YWAM Oxford on the 08 SDTS

A Brief...ish Overview Of My YWAM-ing

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 27 July 2008 | Views [606] | Comments [3]

Life and learning have been very interesting over the past couple of days. In fact, I believe it has been more than a couple weeks since the last time I took a little bit of time aside and wrote down a small bit of what is going on i my life. My appologies to anyone that was hoping for more! I trust you can understand the immense amount of different things to do.

With that said, however, I would also like to let you folks in on a little snapshot of what I have been doing and going through over the past few weeks.

First things first, I will start with the skiing. I have a feeling this is what a lot of people will be wanting to know about! So far, we have made our way up into the mountains to two different ski areas. The first one we made it to is a lovely little ski field bt the name of Porters. Porters was maybe a little bit boring the first time around, due to a major deficiency of snow mostly. The majority of riding area consisted of a cat track that wound down the mountain from the top of the third T-bar to the bottom. Since the first time, we have been up a couple more times and the hill has put in a decently epic park. The other hill we have been up to is called Mt Hutt. Hutt is more of a 'big' ski resort, and in being that also has the crowds that come with it. We have only been to Hutt once so far, but on that one day I managed to: hike a ridge, drop a powder line through shoots and giant spires of rock, hit a variety of rails and boxes, and throw down some 360's over a few of the smaller tables. (for explainations of these terms, please talk to any of the Hall boys, or nate o'hearn)

Going skiing is not the only interesting thing we have been doing here at the DTS, however. In fact, it is virtually swallowed up in the memory of all the other things that have been happening in my life! I am almost hesitant to start writing about all of the things that God has been doing in my life. Perhaps I will have to just write a whole journal story devoted to that specific topic. We have also made a couple of trips the the nearby city of Christchurch. It is an interesting little city, full of a very diverse selection of people. There is everything from white canadians buying overpriced souvenirs, to more middle-eastern looking young men playing soccer in the square in the middle of town. I should add that there is a beautiful cathedral in that square in the middle of town. Most of our time in Christchurch has been spent wandering the streets, poking around in all of the different shops, everything from tiny music stores, huge skateboard shops, to second hand clothing stores with cheep NZ wool shirts and sweaters to be had. I have managed, by the grace of God, to not whittle away my funds on all of the useless good though, which I am sure most of you are happy to hear. Especially my mother. I love you mom!

The school and lecture part of the DTS is very much what makes this place so important to me though. As of now, we have had one wonderful lady named Georgina come through and speak to us, and now we have a man named Mark Parker here for the next week and a bit. Both speakers are absolutely amazing people of God, and the indescribable mass of knowledge and wisdom that they have passed on to us students is absolutely astounding! I have begun to take notes in class, and not because i have to but because I really do want to remember all of these things later in life! Note taking was never really one of my strong suits in school. God has been challenging me and causing me to grow every day so far, and usually multiple times a day. I have already been through high times and low times, amazingly lively worship and amazingly quiet and humbling times alone in my little tree fort, as God speaks to me and teaches me how to pray for all the people I love. If you are wondering anything that you could ask God for, for me, it would be simply this: that I would be able to let go of all selfishness, and learn to serve selflessly out of love just as He did. I would like to thank all of the wonderful people who have been praying for me, because I have noticed the difference. Anyone that feels like they need to pray for me, please do, because with those prayers I know that God will be building up a warrior in me that He will use to reach out and change parts of the world! As you can probably tell, I am very excited for the work that God is doing in me, and I hope to God that I will not leave this place the same as I got here.

Whether you believe He is up there or not, I pray that God will bless you and that you will feel His love in your life every day! Thank you again for your prayers, and your support as well! I know that God will bless you because of the blessing you have been to me.

Tags: friends, skiing

Comments

1

Oh Matt,
How wonderful it was to read your journal. I loved that you discribed Christchurch and it made me very excited. You're in the midst of a wonderful, new and revolutionary time in your life. I loved NZ and I'm excied that you have a chance to embrace the culture, see the world, and know God better. Be open and transparent with the people around you and enjoy every moment because before you know it it will be all over. I hope your having an amazing time!

steph

  steph Jul 29, 2008 3:38 PM

2

mike told me that he checked his bank acount and had an extra 2000$ in it but really your mom tranferred into his acount instead of yours by mistake ahahahahahaha. i laughed at him for awhile.

sounds like you are having an amazing time. GOOD.

also i noticed that now i have to argue with mike over really pointless things because you are not here for me to argue with *sigh*

when you get back though we will argue i promise. hahaha

  NAYGHT Aug 1, 2008 3:06 PM

3

did you say...NZ wool skirts?

  julie Oct 18, 2008 3:28 AM

About zion


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.