Existing Member?

Knowing God, Making God Known... My experience and adventures as I am living, learning, and working with YWAM Oxford on the 08 SDTS

Arrival At Last!

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 6 July 2008 | Views [895] | Comments [4]

I would just like to say right now, airline travel is a lot more intense than I had previously remembered. Maybe due to the fact that I have never crossed over the equator or the international date line, or maybe because now I don't have my mother valiantly leading the charge through any and all of the international airports I have been to previously? All I really know is that it really is a good idea to use the washroom before you leave, purchased food is much better than what the airlines so generously provide, read everything on every sign you possibly can, and don't ever buy coffee in a New Zealand airport. 

Travelling adventure and difficulty stories aside, it was a pretty good experience through and through, but needless to say I am very happy to finally be here. I did run into a reasonably small amount of hitches on my way for the most part. The only problems I every really had turned out much better than thay possibly could have considering what would have been on the line. The first major problem I faced was a late arrival in Vancouver (thank you Air Canada), which resulted in full-on marathon invlolving a decently large amount of the international airport. The lady working at the gate was more than amazing in her determination to ensure my being on that departing airplane. She even had done all my paperwork ahead of time, and checked my ID as she ran with me down the loading ramp right before yelling at the crew members who were closing the airplane door, to hold on! I thanked her as best I could, and got myself to my seat so the aircraft could depart. The only other difficluty worth mentioning would be how my bag containing all of my skis and skateboarding equipment, managed to get 'misplaced' somewhere allong my travels. The airline was kind enough to take my information down, and give me a ring when they heard anything about it. Such nice people. Actually, as it would turn out, the airline contacted the school this morning and said that the bag should be delivered sometime this afternoon.

As for life here at the school, I get the feeling that I will be enjoying it here. Ever since the first moment that I stepped out of the airport here in Christchurch and watched the thin cloud of condensation disappear into the air with each of my breaths, I could tell that this was the place for me. I should also mention that yesterday, it snowed for about 2 hours. Big fat snowflakes too! None of it really ever stays, but that is fine with me. It stays in the mountains. This means I can still go longboarding and skateboarding down here. There is talk that the first day of riding (skiing and snowboarding) could be as soon as wednesday! I think my excitement level really goes without saying here.

The people here are great as well. Not just the local kiwis (New Zealanders) either. All of the other students from all over the world seem to be pretty thouroughly awesome! I can tell already that there is going to be a huge amount of oportunity for growth down here on this tiny little island. Also they feed me. Three times a day to boot! The cook, Amy, is a wonderful person, and I think that we will have a great relationship while I am living here at the school.

Thanks to everyone that gave anything to get my out here, you are awesome and I know that God will be blessig you abundantly in return! I appreciate every cent and every little prayer that has been offered. Every last thing that was given has touched my heart, and I am unexplainably grateful. Thank you again! I promise that I will make every last little bit count.

Tags: adventure, airline travel, difficulties

 

Comments

1

YEEEEAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! (My cheer) Thanks Matt for such a great update! Today's your Dad's birthday (49). God knows our every need even before we do, and no doubt he had that check-in lady on-line. I received the email from Angela to ease my concerns. Dan told me too, after I'd emailed the school, what your face-book account said about you being in N.Z.. Bless you!!! Off to church now. Just think, your life will never be the same again.

  Mommy-kins Jul 7, 2008 12:18 AM

2

Hey Matt,
So glad to hear you made it safe & sound (thanks for calling eh! :)
I am so excited for you, I can't wait to hear how the skiing is. I wish I could have seen your face when you got the news of the lost ski bag.
I got one section of the house painted and am about to paint some more - at this rate I should have it done when you get back in December.
Dan is planning to move to Cortney (on Vancouver Island) in a couple of weeks, so I will be back in the restaurant again I guess.
Just want you to know we are proud of you and will be praying for you.
God bless!

  Daddy-kins Jul 7, 2008 7:59 AM

3

I can't believe it snowed your first day there. hahaha that's awesome. you're gonna have a blast! I can't wait to read all about it. it's already getting me so excited for my YWAM adventure:)
Roger yelled out in church today and said it was your dad's birthday. I haven't seen a Hall blush so much! It was fun:)
Take care, don't do anything I would do!
Blessings be with ya;)

  Ashlée....kins? Jul 7, 2008 2:56 PM

4

"also they feed me" hahaha. thats pretty neat.


it snowed here too! like seven feet so dont worry iam NOT jealous at all. nope not one bit

yes i am.


dang

  nateykins Jul 8, 2008 3:29 PM

About zion


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.