Existing Member?

Seema Does SE Asia! Come and see what I see on my first trip out to SE Asia...

Cooking, slow boats... and Beer Lao!

LAOS | Thursday, 21 May 2009 | Views [734] | Comments [6]

So many things have changed since I last wrote.... I've learned to make pad thai, chicken and cashew nuts and thai curry pastes from stratch. I also know how to eat sticky rice properly, tie my fishermans pants without them falling down or looking like a disaster when I walk (incredibly important) and have decided that I love Laos.


Lets go back to Chiang Mai. Following the trek I ahd a day long cooking course which I absolutely adored! Met 2 very cool girls from Vancouver and decided to hit the night market with them in the evening, ended up doing a ton of shopping, having a blast, finished off in a travellers bar with a rooftop terrace (incidentally full of cockroaches) til 3am at which point I felt it necessary to call those I love dearly (sorry mum) for a catch up. Waking up for my bus at 9am the next day wasn't easy. The journey was hell. Thank god for coca cola and paracetamol.... Met a bunch of people on the bus, got to Chiang Kong in the golden triangle, went for beers.....

The next day was the start of the 2 day long boat trip down the Mekong River.... luckily we met more people in the guesthouse that were taking the boat and had a blast. Its funny that the first few days I felt quite lonely being alone. Suddenly I was forced to socialise and realised I actually quite enjoyed my own company... managed to devour 2 trashy novels on the way to Luang Prabang in Laos and am now in need of more books to feed this newly rediscovered hobby of mine (reading in general I mean, not just trashy novels - suggestions welcome!)

Loved Luang Prabang, the city has so much charm, a great feel to the place... did the whole touristy things, kinda forgot what day it was, so missed out on the museum, everyone else left for the waterfall (which I also subsequently missed out on) BUT happened to bump into the Canadian girls from my cooking class in Chiang Mai so we met up in the evening and hung out... when someone else calls my name, the 2 guys from Quebec that kept me sane on the night train up to Chiang Mai a few weeks ago. Anyway, with even more company, night markets, food stalls and Beer Lao, I had an amazing time and didn't want to leave after only a day a half there....

I think the gods heard my call. My flight at 8am this morning was cancelled. I only found out when I got to the airport at 6.30am to check in.....! So went back into town, made it to the museum, hung out a bit more and am now back in Bangkok before leaving for Siem Reap at 7am tomorrow morning. Thank god my hotel tonight is decent!

Dreading the bus journey tomorrow, heard so many horror stories about it... wish me luck!

Comments

1

Looking forward to tasting your Thai curry one of these days... Sounds like you are having a great time :) Have a safe bus trip.

xxx

  Natasha H. May 21, 2009 2:30 AM

2

missing you missing you missing you missing you
told u, u just need to calm down and then everything happens by itself. happy that u enjoy yourself and make all these discoveries! when will u be back in europe?
xxG

  Gesine May 21, 2009 8:01 AM

3

Hey hun,

Sounds like you're having a blast. Still so jealous!! Once you're back in the country you do know that you'll be cooking pad thau for everyone for at least a year!
Hope you're taking care of yourself anyway. have fun.

K & H

  Kapila May 21, 2009 5:51 PM

4

babe, so happy to hear you are enjoying yourself :) makes me smile to hear that u do enjoy your own company occasional, what a relief ;P
im feeling better, will write u today!
lots of love and sooo looking forward to the food u'll have to cook :)))))))))))))

ps. met some really nice mexicans yday...my destiny :)

  sahar May 21, 2009 6:31 PM

5

Hmmmmm yummy, I'm with Kapi, you are deffo cooking all that for us when you are back - plenty of opportunities this summer! Sounds like you are having a blast. Mum told me you called her drunkenly, hahaha, was pretty funny! Send my postcard penda masi!
xxx

  Tenki May 21, 2009 8:29 PM

6

Hi Darling , I think you are finally starting to relax now - tho still rushing around. I hope you actually chill on the beaches and come back with renewed vigour and loads of energy! Missing you loads - cant wait for you to get back . Mumxx

  mum May 22, 2009 7:48 PM

About zimmy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.