Existing Member?

It's A Wonderful World

Fabulous France

NETHERLANDS | Wednesday, 19 December 2007 | Views [518] | Comments [1]

Could gauge when we were in France by the increased level of spit on the ground.  Cheap trained it to France.  Do we want to reserve seats for 5 euros?  Are you serious?! Who reserves seats?!  Apparently the French do.  We sat in the connecting aisle between carriages for some of our trip.  Fun though - very well ventilated =)

Experienced the scary French metro.  The announcement before the doors close is not followed by an English translation but if it was it would go something like this: "stand clear of zee door pleaze, stand clear or vee cut off your head" *SLAM*  These people are still way too fond of the guillotene.

Our hotel was the most Paris thing ever!  In the Latin quater the location was great.  We were on the fifth floor (one toilet per floor, one shower every two floors) and had our own tiny balcony to gaze up and down the street from.  The heating was really good so we stored perishables out on the balcony to keep them fresh but they weren't very happy yoghurts and decided to end their lives prematurely by leaping to their deaths when a breeze blew.  Unfortunately there were no cooking utensils but toothbrushed make good spoons so all was well.

Notre Dame was incredible.  By far the most wonderful church we have seen (and we have seen quite a few now)  I thought it was more spectacular outside than in and we climbed up for a good view of the city and a better view of the gargoyles.

Sure, croissants were like nothing I had ever had but the baguettes were the standout patisserie product.  A thin crunchy shell filled with bubbly chewy bread and the fact that every second Frenchman has one hanging out of his back pocket made them the staple food of our Parisian adventure.

My first day at the Louvre was a magic day.  We went to the Mona Lisa first to beat the crowds.  She was all alone on a big white wall and only about A3 size ( I swear she was bigger in the Mr Bean movie)  What's the big deal?  Everyone was saying it and I have to admit I was thinking it... but then I moved closer.  It was really hot in the Louvre and I was wearing my thermals, polar fleece and ski jacket.  As I got to the front of the barrier I got cold.  Mona Lisa met my eyes and didn't look away no matter how I stared or where I moved.  I took my photos and looked from all angles but in the end it was me who broke away.  From the other side of the room I glanced back at her.  She was still watching me and she was smiling... she had won.  We were there for hours and I got completely lost.  I would be happy to do that every day for a long time.

Got free Turkish Delight at a takeaway place and hugs and high fives from old French men when I said I was Australian.  People are fundamentally good.  And that includes the French.

Went to the Pantheon, Concierge, St Chapelle and Picasso museum.  Climbed the Arc de Triomphe, patrolled the Champs Elysees, climbed the Eiffel tower and visited Degas'dancers at Musee DÓrsay.  Centre Pompidou was a wonderful mix of pretention and perfection.  Versailles was incredible and kind of disgusting... there's excess and then there's excess and not even Ludwig could compete with these guys.  Standing in the king's private apartments, looking out over the golden table top and past the velvet curtains down to the rows of fountains in the elaborate gardens the revolution started to make sense.  Toured the famous red light district and looked through the door of the Moulin Rouge.

I love our little hotel room but you really can see everything that goes on in the six apartments across the way if you look out the window.  Not a good thing during showertime.

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Oh my gosh Zem your trip sounds amazing!!!!! (And you describe it so eloquently) Much love Inca xoxox

  Inca Hutchinson Dec 27, 2007 4:28 PM

About zem


Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.