Existing Member?

It's A Wonderful World

Sic Switzerland

NETHERLANDS | Wednesday, 19 December 2007 | Views [543]

Zurich is the most beautiful place so far.  It is full of narrow, winding, cobblestone streets with tall buildings lining either side.  The river through the city centre is spanned by gorgeous arched bridges and opens out into massive lake Zurich.  The whole scene is framed by woody mountains and the alps.  Other exciting features include the biggest clockface in Europe (on the side of St Peter's church), a floating circus and a disturbing number of shops selling little, sharp, red knives.

Zurich Zoo was stunning... I fell in love with the alliteration alone.  As always the flamingos were my favourite but the Lamas came in a close second.

We spent an afternoon at a Swiss chocolate factory with liquor truffles worth a standard drink each... they don't do anyhting halfway in Switzerland.

The alps were amazing.  We spent a day 3km up in the mountains at -10oC, accompanied by a vicious wind.  Unfortunately for the postcards the mountain was called Titlis (better than Mt Wank I suppose)  This was the most beautiful day.  The vertical parts of the alps made black patches that stood out against the snow.  The line the mountains made against the sky was hard and irregular and a stunning contrast to the soft, whispy clouds that sat well below the peaks.  The sky was grey, making the view in all directions a monochrome of grey, black and white.  I am such a fan of colour so it was amazing for me to see how effortlessly perfect the world could seem without it.  Also on Titlis was a glacier cave to explore.  It came complete with light show and the option to choose theme music by which to explore the ice.  Quickly moved through the "folk" yodelling option and onto the "funk"... I kid you not: "alps, alps baby"

Switzerland was basically sic (how Thorpie uses the word) and I had many animated conversations with Rosanna's father - he spoke Italian and I spoke English.  We discussed the weather, speeding cameras, lighthouses and building regulations... I think.

Tags: Adventures

About zem


Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.