Existing Member?

Red Shoe Diary

The Lakes District

CHILE | Monday, 19 December 2011 | Views [721]

The lakes district is too far south to get hot; protected by the volcanoes around from too much wind and cold so never too cold and the same volcanic hills ensure that the rain deluges down all year around, so its a very lush, fertile, green area. Many moons ago German, Austrian and Swiss folks settled here and their legacy is still clear in the design of the houses, the towns and the farming methods clearly employed in the area.  Communities are established around the lakes; dairy cattle graze peacefully, joined by some sheep scattered here and there, and horses; fine, strong, healthy looking beasts who can be seen carrying their masters across the land inspecting their crops.  Many farmers also grow vegetables and fruit and organic seems to be the way forward.  Our landlord grew fruit and herbs and had a small meadow planted on the roofs of his various outhouses, being both economically and environmentally friendly. Home made jams, cheese and bread were served for breakfast in an all wood farmhouse he built himself! As Christmas is approaching, artisan markets have been held in every town we visited with wooden toys, honeys, home made wines and distinctly german style cakes being the main sales.  Its all so damn good and nice and healthy; and as I groan at the stereotype of it all I reach for a large glass of unhelathy red wine.

About zapatosrojos


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.