Existing Member?

Red Shoe Diary

DRAGONS!

INDONESIA | Monday, 8 August 2011 | Views [528]

The Perama boat trip from Labuan Bajo to Lombok Labuhan taking in Rinca and Moya island is a '3 day, 2 night' trip which does not disappoint. Cabin class costs a little more and gets you the slimmest room with a bunk and narrow shelf for storage; non cabin gets you a mattress on the covered deck area at the back. Food on board was good and there was plenty although there is no seating other than the plastic benching along side the ad hoc dining 'table' for a buffet style serving of meals. The trip involves 2 stops for snorkelling, a visit to a waterfall and ofcourse, a visit to Rinca to see the dragons, probably the main reason for most people opting for the trip.

Rinca seems to be operated by staff of an average age of 17 who have learnt their script and, looking pretty bored, lead the groups on the 2 hour hunt ( hot walk) around a stretch of the island. It is a sad state as these young men are not interested in 1) the local wildlife or 2) the foreign wildlife. Presumably this was the only job available and hopefully is a stepping stone to a better job once they have ... some other option? Which creature to feel most sorry for, stuck on this hot, bare island? At least the dragons are on the top of the food chain.

Tags: kimodo dragons, moyo, perama boat trips, rinca

About zapatosrojos


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.