Existing Member?

Reaching out for my dreams.

A tale of two- Golden Temple and I

INDIA | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [117] | Scholarship Entry

Does the day dawn differently on a dome of gold that’s alive with the resonance of prayers right in the center of a bustling city that’s over four hundred years old?
At the famed Harmindar Sahib Gurudwara in Amritsar, It’s appears true to me even now.
This visit taught me lessons of life I can never forget.
A lot awaits a visitor like me at Harmindar Sahib or Golden Temple as it is globally known for it’s gold plated domes shimmering in holy waters or ‘amrit’ surrounding it.
Amritsar can be accessed by road through it’s green spread, railways or flights at the busy Guru Ram Das International Airport.
It’s fascinating history covers Guru Ram Das excavating the water tank giving the city it’s name in 1574, gold plating of the central dome by Maharaja Ranjit Singh in 1830,Jallianwala Bagh massacre in 1919 and yes,the controversial Operation Blue Star in 1984.
The ‘Dukh Bhanjani Beri’, (Ber tree) under whose shade Guru Ramdas supervised construction of the Golden Temple has witnessed it all.Like other devotees, I reverentially picked up a fallen leaf to keep in my diary to ward off dukh(sorrow).
My lesson began at the entrance as I removed my dusty shoes. Eager hands received and returned them later, dusted and polished. Seva or service is integrally woven into worship.
The first sight of Golden Temple takes everyone’s breath away.After soaking in the sight of the dome of gold nestling midst the blessed waters,the inner pathways overflowing with devotees taking a dip or chanting prayers,I began to notice another set of people.
Countless young and old,local and foreign devotees were busy in ‘seva’ of sweeping the temple,serving water to the thirsty and running the mammoth ‘langar’(community meal) that feeds over a hundred thousand day and night.
Devotees ceaselessly donate, cook and serve food,wash utensils with joy. I gingerly joined the utensils stackers and never felt better.The lessons in community service are a priceless gift to every visitor.
To history buffs,the sikh museum and many local gurudwaras tell amazing tales of fortitude.
I leisurely enjoyed the city on rickshaw pedaled by a local who told me the lesser known tales,took me to local eateries serving amazing Amritsari paranthas,showed interesting corners in narrow lanes of Hall Bazaar connected to the culture of the city and it’s place in the scheme of things. At the end of the ride,when he said ‘phir aayo ji’(please come again), I knew I certainly will.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About yuvrajkhanna


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.