Existing Member?

Kicking myself all the way

Every time a child stops believing in magic a (Mexican) Ferry dies

USA | Saturday, 25 April 2015 | Views [147]

My 12 hour ferry arrived at its destination,  Mazatlan,  10 hours late!

As instructed I arrived at the La Paz  ferry terminal (conveniently located only 6 miles out of town in the middle of nowhere) at.2 pm for the 5 pm ferry. I saw the.ferry waiting as I rode in and had the bike's permit checked and the  bike 'weighed' for an additional  $10 fee on top of the $150 I had paid for the ticket for XavieR  (Yes I have named my bike - ever since my bro left, my travel partner hardly ever talks, and when he does its to himself. Don't broadcast it, but I think he might be losing it) and on the recommendation of some bikers we had met in Baja that had just done it - a cabin for me at $45. I later met 2 Mexican bikers on a Goodwing and BMW RT and found their bikes mysteriously weighed the same as mine and we had all payed the same. Hmm.

Anyway after I had sat around for an hour or so I wandered over to look at the ferry and it had gone! Turned out it was the earlier one to Topalopabombombom  ( pretty sure that's the.name of the port about 250 miles north of Mazatlan.)

5  pm came and went sans ferry. Unfortunately so did 6 thru 9. FINALLY at about 9.30 pm it slunk into view with its hands in its pockets all nonchalant like.

The ferry then loaded every person, car, lorry, bicycle, pigeon and dove before us 3 bikers were allowed on at 10.45 pm, and we chugged out at 11 pm.

I loved my private cabin and enjoyed the sleeping at sea thing until I eventually wandered out to see what the storage class were up to and check on the progress of El Barco - seeing as I thought my cabin must be at the wrong angle to see the impending coastline of mainland Mexico. Er, Engine trouble had apparently left El Barco limping along at 1 1/2 dolphin speed (confirmed by me - I also saw a huge sea turtle but he was busy not being ran over by us and his perpendicular struggles were beyond my trigonometry skills).

As the sun sank low on the horizon we arrived at Mazatlan - Leaving me with one of my least favorite travel pursuits - arriving in a foreign city, at night and having to find a hotel. I hadn't even intended on staying here, but rather, had thought I'd been particulsrly well organised by using AirBnB for a place in Puerto Vallarta - a now rather inconvenient 200 odd miles away.

 

 

About yoshic


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.